What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What is the best soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?
I see this question all the time. People want to know what the best replacement soft top is for their Jeep Wrangler TJ. A high quality soft top will probably last close to 7-10 years if properly cared for. If you leave your vehicle exposed to the elements, parked outside, and rarely garaged, chances are you won't get as much life out of it. However, if you park it in a garage, clean it, and care for it all around, I suspect a good quality top will easily see 10 years.

Who makes the factory soft top on my Jeep Wrangler TJ?
The first thing to remember when considering a replacement soft top is that the OE (Original Equipment) supplier for the Jeep soft tops is Bestop. That means that when you buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler TJ (or JK) from the dealer, the soft top that comes with it is supplied to Jeep by Bestop.

You should also keep in mind that if you go to your local Jeep dealership and buy a replacement soft top, all you are doing is paying a huge dealer markup for a Bestop soft top that comes in a "Jeep" box. Don't be fooled into thinking that buying a replacement soft top from the dealer will be anything other than a Bestop.

Click on any of the links below to be taken to that particular section which gives you a list of the part numbers, the different style of tops offered by that company, etc.

So here you have some of the most popular soft top replacement options for our Jeep Wrangler TJs:
  1. Bestop
  2. Sierra Offroad
  3. Pavement Ends
  4. Rampage
  5. Smittybilt

Bestop
With that out of the way, there is a reason Jeep chose Bestop as their OE supplier for the factory soft top. Bestop is simply put, the best-of-the-best when it comes to replacement soft tops. There is no better soft top out there in terms of quality than the Bestop soft tops.

Here's a list of the various Jeep Wrangler TJ soft top models offered by Bestop:

Bestop Supertop NX
The original Supertop Classic set the standard for replacement convertible Jeep soft tops, but Bestop wanted to make it even better. So we added our exclusive Sunrider flip-back panel, Top Arch bars and factory-style Door Surrounds to create a new generation - the Supertop NX. Ideal for those Wrangler owners that currently don't have a soft top, this is the solution to getting the most out of your Wrangler on the trail, or just around town.

Who is this top for?
This is for the Wrangler TJ owner who wants a factory top but doesn't have the factory hardware. This top comes with a replacement top, as well as OE quality factory hardware (door surrounds, bows, and everything else you need to install it).

Where can I buy this top?
Find the top you're looking for below and click the link. You'll then be able to purchase the top on Amazon if you'd like. Please note that I have done an extensive amount of research with these part numbers. If the Amazon product title says something different (i.e. a different color), do not pay attention to that. Only pay attention that the part number on the product on Amazon is identical to the one I've listed below.

Bestop Replace-a-Top
What if your original factory soft top hardware is in good condition, but the fabric and windows have definitely seen better days? Replace-a-top™ takes advantage of your still-good factory hardware, and gives you all new fabric and windows without having to replace your existing factory frames and hardware. It's one of our most economical ways to make your soft top look brand new again.

Who is this top for?
This top is for the Wrangler TJ owner who has an existing soft top, as well as all the factory soft top hardware, but simply needs to replace the top material. This top comes with a complete OE replacement soft top skin, minus the hardware.

Find the top you're looking for below and click the link. You'll then be able to purchase the top on Amazon if you'd like. Please note that I have done an extensive amount of research with these part numbers. If the Amazon product title says something different (i.e. a different color), do not pay attention to that. Only pay attention that the part number on the product on Amazon is identical to the one I've listed below.

Bestop Trektop
Our original frameless Trektop Classic was a showstopper when it was first introduced back in 2008. It even won Chrysler's 2008 Design Excellence Award and is the forerunner to our best-selling Trektop NX. You don't need factory frames and bows so installation is quick and easy. Trektop Classic is a complete replacement soft top with fast-back styling at an economical price.

Who is this top for?
This top is for the Wrangler TJ owner who wants a bowless soft top. This soft top doesn't have any bows or hardware (other than door surrounds and a header seal), which makes installing and removing the top a breeze.

Bestop Trektop NX
We’ve covered all the angles. Bestop's innovative fastback styling has made Trektop NX the best selling soft top on the market today. Trektop NX is truly a complete soft top but doesn't need all the frame hardware and bows of traditional soft top designs. It takes advantage of the Wrangler's sport bars to give it shape and support for an easier installation. And there's an added bonus to the Trektop NX - just zip out the windows and it transforms into a Safari Bikini Top.

Who is this top for?
This top is for the Wrangler TJ owner who wants a bowless soft top. This soft top includes all the features of the Bestop Trektop, but also includes the ability to remove the side windows and rear window, and then function as a standalone safari top!

What is the "sailcloth" option?
Sailcloth is a step above the base material that Bestop tops are made of, but not as nice as the twill. It will be quieter, warmer, and a bit better than the base material.

What is the "twill" option?
The "twill" option is Bestop's highest quality material. The standard material that comes with all the Bestop tops is a vinyl type material. It's a little thinner than the twill, but I've used the base model top personally, and it is by no means bad. The higher end option is called "twill".

Twill is a huge upgrade and very much worth the price increase. The twill is thicker, quieter, absorbs much less dirt (which translates to being much easier to clean) and when compared side-by-side with the standard Bestop material, it's immediately obvious to see why it costs more. The twill will do a better job at keeping the heat in and keeping the cold out. It will also likely last longer due to it's extra durability.

What is the difference between "black denim" and "black diamond"?
From 1997-2002 the Jeep Wrangler TJ had a "black denim" soft top. This referred to the color of the soft top material which was black, but almost had a denim look to it (like a pair of black jeans).

From 2003-2006 the Jeep Wrangler TJ had a "black diamond" soft top. The soft top was identical to the earlier TJs with the exception of the soft top material being a much deeper black color.

Here's an image that shows a "black diamond" top on the left, and a "black denim" top on the right. These tops are 100% interchangeable, just order whichever one is the color you prefer.

35525560.jpg

Sierra Offroad
Sierra Offroad is one that recently came onto my radar. Their replacement soft top is available in a variety of colors, it uses sailcloth (a huge bonus), and the reviews look absolutely stellar. In addition to that, it's priced so well that it's hard to beat!

Check out the Sierra Offroad top here on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR1544Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

While I haven't tried this top and don't know anyone personally who has, those stellar reviews don't lie. In addition to that, the price and the fact that it's sailcloth make this the best "budget" top out there in my book!

Reactions: Sancho
Pavement Ends by Bestop
Pavement Ends by Bestop is our most affordable line of soft tops and accessories. Bestop has been manufacturing replacement soft tops and Jeep accessories for more than 60 years, and is the sole supplier of factory-installed soft tops on Jeep Wranglers for more than 25 years. All that engineering and technology expertise makes its way into our Pavement Ends by Bestop line of products. It gives Jeep owners a smarter choice when replacing a soft top without sacrificing ease of installation and dependability. The features, fabrics and hardware in Pavement Ends by Bestop Soft Tops have different specifications than top-of-the-line Bestop products, but you still get a quality product that represents tremendous value.

These tops are manufactured by Bestop and provide an affordable yet quality soft top for someone who would otherwise be choosing Rampage or Smittybilt. Aside from a Bestop soft top, a Pavement Ends soft top would undoubtedly be my second choice. If you read around, you'll see that people who have these tops are generally very happy with them. The fact that they're manufactured by Bestop should also be an indicator of their quality.

Pavement Ends Flip Top
The Flip Top offers flip-open versatility at an affordable price. This is a complete top kit with full metal bow system and all hardware. There is nothing else to buy! The Flip Top is packed with features normally found in more expensive tops such as: zip-open rear & side windows, weatherproof fabric, quality stitching and premium construction.

Find the top you're looking for below and click the link. You'll then be able to purchase the top on Amazon if you'd like.

Models
44527-15 - Black Denim

Pavement Ends Sprint Top
Pavement Ends™ Sprint Top gives you a fastback look, a flip-back Sunrider section and frameless styling for less. It includes factory-quality sailcloth fabric that installs without the use of soft top bows. There are similar tops out there, but only Sprint Top offers a flip-back panel at a great price and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty. All you need is your original door surrounds, tailgate bar from your original factory top, and a windshield header channel to install the Sprint Top. If your Jeep did not come with the Factory Soft these items are see our recommended items to purchase these items separately.

Find the top you're looking for below and click the link. You'll then be able to purchase the top on Amazon if you'd like.

Models
56840-15 (Black Denim, Tinted Windows)
56840-37 (Black Diamond, Tinted Windows)
56840-35 (Spice, Tinted Windows)

Pavement Ends Replay Top
The Replay replacement top beats comparably priced competitors in a feature-to-feature comparison every time. Its weatherproof fabric, available in 3 factory-matched colors is securely held together with strength-tested industrial thread and is designed to fit the factory original hardware that came on your vehicle.

Models
51198-15 - Black Diamond, Clear Windows
51148-15 - Black Denim, Tinted Windows
51148-35 - Black Diamond, Tinted Windows
51148-37 - Spice, Tinted Windows
51131-15 - Black Denim, Clear Windows, Upper Door Skins
51131-33 - Dark Tan, Clear Windows, Upper Door Skins
51131-37 - Spice, Clear Windows, Upper Door Skins
51131-15 - Black Denim, Tinted Windows, Upper Door Skins
51197-15 - Black Denim, Tinted Windows, Upper Door Skins
51197-37 - Spice, Tinted Windows, Upper Door Skins

Pavement Ends Emergency Top
Ever get stuck out away from the house in a rainstorm and your top is off your Jeep®? This compact, lightweight and easy to store top can be used in a moments notice. Made of rain-resistant PVC-fabric it is quick protection for sudden downpours. The rear window rolls up and out of sight. Includes stuff storage sack and two rain ponchos.

Models
56812-01 - Black Diamond

Rampage
Next to Bestop I would rate Rampage as being second in line. Rampage soft tops are generally a little cheaper than Bestop soft tops and come in almost all of the factory colors and options.

While I haven't used a Rampage top personally, I've had the opportunity to see my friends Rampage top up close and personal, and it is actually a pretty darn good top for the money.

Here's a list of the various Jeep Wrangler TJ soft top models offered by Rampage:

Rampage Frameless Trail Top

The Rampage Frameless Trail Top installs over the original equipment factory roll bar for a snug fit without the need for additional bows or support hardware. This unique design allows for larger side windows and improved visibility with removable side and rear windows that quickly convert the soft top into an open safari top.
  • Half-door applications use original door skins and upper door frames
  • Patented design gives vehicle full coverage or semi-open environment
  • Roof features patented anti-puddle support system for water run-off
  • Fastback design gives vehicle great aerodynamics and a nice, quiet cabin
  • Choose between premium-grade material or optional heavy-duty sail cloth
  • Backed by a 2-year warranty or 3-year warranty for sail cloth tops
  • Windows with marine-grade zippers and heat-sealed seams provide weatherproof interior
  • DOT-approved windows come in tinted (no extra charge) or clear plastic
NOTE: Requires Windshield channel, factory soft top door surrounds and tail gate bar. If the soft top is replacing a hard top application, these parts are required and can be purchased separately.

Models
109535 - Black Diamond
109635 - Black Diamond (LJ / Unlimited Models)
109735 - Black Diamond Sailcloth
109517 - Spice

Rampage Factory Replacement Soft Top
The Factory Remplacement Soft Top by Rampage offers better wear resistance, keeps its color for much longer, and provides ever-reliable weatherproofing for your vehicle.
  • Replaces your baked, worn out factory top
  • Features two zippered ceiling storage pockets
  • Installs on vehicle using factory hardware
  • Offered in all factory colors and meets/exceeds factory specifications
  • DOT-compliant windows available in clear or dark/35% tint and 18-oz. OEM-grade material top
  • Rear window completely removable
  • Windows with marine-grade zippers and heat-sealed seams provide weatherproof interior
  • Backed by a 2-year warranty or 3-year warranty for sail cloth tops
  • Upgradable to sail cloth, matching door skins and patented anti-puddle supports for better water run-off
NOTE: Requires hardware and door frames for installation.

Models
99315 - Denim Black, Tinted Windows
99335 - Black Diamond, Tinted Windows

Rampage Complete Soft Top Kit with Frame
Includes everything - Fabric top, Windows, Frame & Hardware plus exclusive Rampage accessories Replace your worn out top system or convert a hardtop to a soft top and get organized in the process.
  • Replaces your baked, worn out factory top or use when converting from hard top
  • All-in-one kit includes vinyl windows, soft top, bows, frame and hardware
  • Includes convenience features including storage bag, rear tailgate tonneau and organizer pouch
  • Features two zippered ceiling storage pockets (1 for driver side, 1 for passenger)
  • Redesigned bow system uses factory mounting points and belt rail for easy installation and folds
  • Offered in all factory colors and meets/exceeds factory specifications
  • DOT-compliant windows available in clear or dark/35% tint and 18-oz. OEM-grade material top
  • Backed by a 2-year warranty
  • TJ Wrangler kits come with soft top quick disconnects
Models
68835 - Black Diamond, Tinted Windows
68717 - Spice, Clear Windows
68817 - Spice, Tinted Windows
68736 - Khaki, Clear Windows
68836 - Khaki, Tinted Windows
68735 - Black Diamond, Clear Windows

Reactions: John S
Smittybilt
Smittybilt is another option. Their tops are substantially cheaper than Bestop soft tops, however, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't say there soft tops are complete garbage, but they are definitely of a much lesser quality and construction than Bestop. I challenge anyone with a Smittybilt top to put it side-by-side with a brand new Bestop, and you'll be able to easily tell the difference in quality.

The Smittybilt tops are great for a budget conscious Jeep owner who doesn't want to break the bank. My guess is that one of these tops would probably last half the life of a Bestop, but at half the price, I suppose that's hard to complain about.

A friend of mine has a Smittybilt soft top, and as with everything else Smittybilt I've come across, I am not even slightly impressed with the subpar quality. There's a reason people refer to them as "Shittybilt".

Here's a list of the various Jeep Wrangler TJ soft top models offered by Smittybilt:

Smittybilt Bowless Combo Top
The new Bowless Combo Top from Smittybilt is the most adaptable Jeep top on the market. If you're hitting the trail and clouds roll in unexpectedly you can quickly transform your Jeep so it is protected with a weatherproof full top. When the sun returns, simply zip out the side and rear windows and you're back to crawling in the open air again. Added conveniences includes the internal storage compartments, MOLLE attachment straps and easy access, internal storage of your side and rear curtains.
  • Functions as primary full top
  • Convertible to extended top with removable side/rear windows
  • Marine grade, durable vinyl-coated material resists fading and stretching
  • O.E.M. diamond-style fabrics
  • 30ml DOT-approved tinted vinyl windows
  • Seams and stitch holes are sealed to prevent leaking
  • Self-correcting zippers run smoother and last longer
  • Top features internal storage compartments and MOLLE attachments
  • Internal storage for side and rear curtains
  • Heavy duty hook-and-loop system
  • No factory bow hardware required
Models
9973235 - 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Smittybilt Replacement Soft Tops
This Full featured replacement top is designed to be a complete OE replacement for your worn or torn soft top. Marine grade durable vinyl coated soft top OEM style fabrics to resist fading and stretching. Seams are heat sealed to prevent leaking, wick stop threads seals the stitch holes, no other soft top manufacturer uses this high quality thread. Jeep Tops Includes (2) front replacement upper door skins. Self correcting zippers - zippers run smoother and last longer. The Side windows and rear window will completely zip out when needed for full ventilation. DOT approved first quality window materials are used. Fits over original factory OE hardware / framework. Available in Denim Black, Gray, Diamond Black, and Denim Spice.
  • In Stock now, YJ, TJ, JK,
  • 30mil DOT 31% Tinted Glass
  • 23oz multi layered press textured marine grade Vinyl
  • Waxed coated heavy 135 gauge thread to resist mold and mildew
  • Heat sealed seams with double stitching to prevent leaks
  • Heavy duty easy operation Self correcting nylon zippers
  • Tight precision fit
  • 3 Year Warranty
Models
9970217 - 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Spice Denim)
9970235 - 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Black Denim)

Smittybilt Premium Replacement Tops
Whether you are looking for a warm weather soft top or simply need to replace your worn out factory top, Smittybilt has what you need. The Smittybilt Premium Replacement Top is the perfect solution for your JK or TJ and helps keep costs down by allowing you to retain your stock hardware.
  • Crystal clear, high definition, 40ml DOT-approved vinyl window, thickest in the industry
  • Made of ProT3k Trident structure - 30oz multi-layered, wrinkle-free material that is 24% thicker than O.E. specs
  • Triple-layered for maximum noise reduction
  • Exceptional cold-weather performance and ability to handle frigid temperatures - Exceeds SAE J323B Standards of -22 degrees F
  • Maximum UV protection
  • Double layer stitching with highest quality, UV-protected and rot-resistant thread
  • Large, maximum-strength zippers with self-correcting features in all weather
  • Zippered pouch roof Pockets for extra storage
  • Requires factory original hardware for installation
Models
9974235 - 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I want a soft top for my Jeep - however, paying $1,000 for a Brand new one just isn't for me.

I'd like to, at the very, least piece together the framework from Craigslist. I just am not sure of everything that I need?

From Bestop's picture, all you need is the two metal frame pieces, and what looks like fabric supports along the back piece?
Bestop%20Frame_zpstfipwjgm.jpg

I found this ad on CL, but those fabric pieces seem to be missing?
Used%20frame_zpsutmsezef.jpg

Also, I know that I need the actual roll bar brackets, and knuckles to attach to those brackets. Other than that, I don't think I need anything else?

Roll bar brackets, the snap pin thingies for the top bars, rear tailgate bar and the brackets it fits into. I also have a support above the front seats.

Or you could go frame less. I run a Pavement Ends top (budget top by Bestop) and it is awesome. Fits nice, doesn't flap around, been in pouring rain and snow without leaks. Around 350 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0UYZU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Roll bar brackets, the snap pin thingies for the top bars, rear tailgate bar and the brackets it fits into. I also have a support above the front seats.

Or you could go frame less. I run a Pavement Ends top (budget top by Bestop) and it is awesome. Fits nice, doesn't flap around, been in pouring rain and snow without leaks. Around 350 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0UYZU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've thought about frameless. I just don't like how they look!

And I have the header bar, the tailgate bar and brackets, door surrounds and the support that attaches to them above the seats; I need the two main frame pieces (pictured), the roll bar brackets that attaches right behind the seats, the pins that attach to the brackets, and what else, sir?

Sounds good, I think. Mine was a bent up mess when I bought mine so I never have had the factory top on it. I have the roll bar brackets and snap pin things. They are yours in you want them. I am 100% happy with my frame less so I won't need them. PM your address and I can send them out to ya.

Sounds good, I think. Mine was a bent up mess when I bought mine so I never have had the factory top on it. I have the roll bar brackets and snap pin things. They are yours in you want them. I am 100% happy with my frame less so I won't need them. PM your address and I can send them out to ya.

Oh wow yes please! Let me mail you the shipping cost once you know what it is? (sent you a PM)

Well I'll have to pass it along too!
Just so you know, the fabric straps that tie the bows together can be purchased separately also. I had to replace those on a previous X, and ordered them. I will look to see if I can find out where they came from. It probably was from calling Bestop directly.

Edit: found one source, not sure if this is where I got it, but at least they have it, and you could search by the part #:
http://www.morris4x4center.com/strap-retaining-mopar-55176444ab.html

Mopar Part No.: 55176444AB

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle_W
Just so you know, the fabric straps that tie the bows together can be purchased separately also. I had to replace those on a previous X, and ordered them. I will look to see if I can find out where they came from. It probably was from calling Bestop directly.

Edit: found one source, not sure if this is where I got it, but at least they have it, and you could search by the part #:
http://www.morris4x4center.com/strap-retaining-mopar-55176444ab.html

Mopar Part No.: 55176444AB

Thank you - I didn't even know what those straps were, now I know.

I found them on eBay for cheaper (incase anyone wants them):

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=201416473996

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: Kyle_W
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.