What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

The only difference I've heard of is that the windows from a 97-02 won't interchange with an 03-06 because the zipper halves are flipped. I'm running a 97 top on my 04, and it fits perfectly.

That is a HELL of a price on those tops. 225 bucks for a sailcloth version? Dang...Might have to put it in the budget for next year. My top is still tight, but its showing its age. I could probably still get 75-100 for it now, and upgrade next year!

The only difference I've heard of is that the windows from a 97-02 won't interchange with an 03-06 because the zipper halves are flipped. I'm running a 97 top on my 04, and it fits perfectly.

That is a HELL of a price on those tops. 225 bucks for a sailcloth version? Dang...Might have to put it in the budget for next year. My top is still tight, but its showing its age. I could probably still get 75-100 for it now, and upgrade next year!

It really is a good deal. Normally I would be skeptical, but the reviews look pretty damn good.

Chris, do you have a soft top?

Negative. I did have a Bestop sailcloth soft top, but I got rid of it since I never used it. I have my hard top and my hard top only. I am one of those guys where I don't leave the house with the top off unless I check the weather first and there's 0% chance of rain, know what I mean?

In the Summer time it's top off and doors off all the time!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Ok then, for argument sake, the 97-02 tops have the zipper clasp attached to the driver side window, and the passenger side clasp attached to the roof. Can anyone with a 03-06 top verify if theirs is opposite this? There has to be a reason the vendors differentiate the years. I think Boboruski is right.

Figured I would post up this here. This is for folks considering the Bestop Trektop NX for summer/warm weather but are also planing to keep their hard top for winter.

The TrektopNX calls for replacing the two brackets for rear window on either side of the tailgate with smaller ones. Know that these will not work with the hardtop glass which will not be able to close with the smaller brackets. So I highly suggest keeping the larger brackets for reinstalling the hard top. They have the same mounting hole size/positions so it is an easy swap just be aware you will need to store these.

I didn't think about this when I installed the Trektop this past summer because part of me was thinking of selling the hard top at the time. I just reinstalled the hardtop and am happy I kept the brackets

IMG_20180114_163833.jpg

Figured I would post up this here. This is for folks considering the Bestop Trektop NX for summer/warm weather but are also planing to keep their hard top for winter.

The TrektopNX calls for replacing the two brackets for rear window on either side of the tailgate with smaller ones. Know that these will not work with the hardtop glass which will not be able to close with the smaller brackets. So I highly suggest keeping the larger brackets for reinstalling the hard top. They have the same mounting hole size/positions so it is an easy swap just be aware you will need to store these.

I didn't think about this when I installed the Trektop this past summer because part of me was thinking of selling the hard top at the time. I just reinstalled the hardtop and am happy I kept the brackets

View attachment 28988

I didn't think the hard top would fit with any of those soft top brackets installed... Will it? If so, I was obviously wrong! I only have a hard top, so I don't have a soft top to go by.

When i got my Rubi used it only had the hardtop. I guess the large bracket i have is for factory style soft-top since Rubi's came stock with both as far as I know. There is a lip on the bottom inside of the glass of hardtop that fits in those brackets and what causes the small brackets not to work with it. It is by no means snug though , so I suppose one may not need the larger bracket at all for the hard top.

I didn't think the hard top would fit with any of those soft top brackets installed... Will it? If so, I was obviously wrong! I only have a hard top, so I don't have a soft top to go by.
The brackets on my TJ for the rear tailgate bar stay on with either top. The weatherstripping on the bottom of the rear glass is molded to fit over the brackets.

Reactions: Chris
My jeep came with a hard top and had the wider rear brackets. Then I bought a Bestop Duster, and it came with the narrower brackets, so I think all of Bestops top use the narrower bracket. I factory soft top tail gate bar uses the wider factory bracket, so you could make the bestop stuff work if you use the factory tail gate bar.

Just to add to this;

I had a chat with Bestop who list all their tops that use the OEM hardware as 97-02 and 03-06.
Initially I was told "from 03-06 is when Jeep implemented the impact protection on the roll bars which is thicker than the factory padding on the 97-02 models, these are different to ensure proper fitment with the sport bar cover".

All other top manufacturers that I could see were listing tops as 97-06 including the company pavement ends which is owned by Bestop.
I also noticed that Quadratec were listing Bestops as 97-06.

I got back in contact with Bestop and asked again why the 02 listed top wouldn't fit my 03. I told them that my 03 top didn't rest on the sports bar so I didn't understand their initial answer. I was then told that they haven't actually tried the 02 top on an 03 on wards but me doing so would immediately void my warranty.

In short I'm not sure on the reason why Bestop split the listing on the TJ year models, and it appears Bestop themselves don't know.

What I have discovered is that between the 02 and 03 models Jeep did make some changes and those were to the sports bar (that doesn't appear to effect the top), to the zippers, and their was a colour change from denim black to diamond black.
It also appears that the half doors seem to stop in 02-03 so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Now I have to decide if I want to risk buying the top I want in a 02 model for $599 or buy the 03 version for $589 that doesn't come with the half door tops that will cost an extra $140.

Last edited:
Just to add to this;

I had a chat with Bestop who list all their tops that use the OEM hardware as 97-02 and 03-06.
Initially I was told "from 03-06 is when Jeep implemented the impact protection on the roll bars which is thicker than the factory padding on the 97-02 models, these are different to ensure proper fitment with the sport bar cover".

All other top manufacturers that I could see were listing tops as 97-06 including the company pavement ends which is owned by Bestop.
I also noticed that Quadratec were listing Bestops as 97-06.

I got back in contact with Bestop and asked again why the 02 listed top wouldn't fit my 03. I told them that my 03 top didn't rest on the sports bar so I didn't understand their initial answer. I was then told that they haven't actually tried the 02 top on an 03 on wards but me doing so would immediately void my warranty.

In short I'm not sure on the reason why Bestop split the listing on the TJ year models, and it appears Bestop themselves don't know.

What I have discovered is that between the 02 and 03 models Jeep did make some changes and those were to the sports bar (that doesn't appear to effect the top), to the zippers, and their was a colour change from denim black to diamond black.
It also appears that the half doors seem to stop in 02-03 so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Now I have to decide if I want to risk buying the top I want in a 02 model for $599 or buy the 03 version for $589 that doesn't come with the half door tops that will cost an extra $140.
The padding change on the 03-06 was drastic compared to the anemic 97-02 material. I am more than willing to provide any measurements from my 97-02 rollbar padding/soft top that may help you.

IF it helps, you can just buy it on Amazon and if it doesn't work/sucks you can return it. Amazon is great like that, and they are an authorized retailer for Bestop (No issues with warranty, although softops are not easy to warranty).

Reactions: piratemonkey
The padding change on the 03-06 was drastic compared to the anemic 97-02 material. I am more than willing to provide any measurements from my 97-02 rollbar padding/soft top that may help you.

IF it helps, you can just buy it on Amazon and if it doesn't work/sucks you can return it. Amazon is great like that, and they are an authorized retailer for Bestop (No issues with warranty, although softops are not easy to warranty).

That's my issue, I've ran my hand around all the bar work and whilst the padding is substantial in diameter there's not one spot in the car that it comes in contact with the roof. It's all supported and held up with its own frame.

That's my issue, I've ran my hand around all the bar work and whilst the padding is substantial in diameter there's not one spot in the car that it comes in contact with the roof. It's all supported and held up with its own frame.

I purchased a used soft top complete from a 2001 model via CL a few years ago. It fit just fine on my 2003 TJ. The only issue that I can see is when you are putting the top down the center bow might be a snug fit getting past the C pillars at the bend. I had no problem with mine. It was a nice tight fit when up. I believe Jeep had longer mount brackets on the B pillar where the bows connect to the B pillar to accommodate for the thicker padding. When the top is up, it comes nowhere near touching the soft top.
P1050214.JPG

P1050279.JPG

I have an ’04 LJ with the factory top. Would it be considered vinyl or fabric? I’m buying cleaner and protector and they differentiate between the two.

View attachment 28988

Crap man ! I bought my 04 used with the hard top. Mine doesn’t have those holder tabs. Damnit to hell that rear glass has given me fits cause it always pops out of the grove and rattles around. I’ve pulled the glass lower and tightened it up as much as I dare. Time to search the inter webs
215F11D9-A9F3-4217-848C-86E5ED5E17DE.jpeg
D395286E-2D56-4A23-885D-50913F48D7D5.jpeg