Sold my Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma for an LJ

Jaime313

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello Everyone, it was actually after my third motorcycle crash and a come to Jesus moment. The Tacoma was sold along with the bike within two weeks and I bought an LJ the third week. Mostly because it reminded me of the Humvee (HMMWV) I drove in the Army 22 years ago and with no doors or top made me feel like I was on a big slow safe motorcycle. It was stock on bald tires when i bought it in Fresno California, so I did what anyone would do when you buy your first jeep. Lifted and 33" Tires please!
Like life, I wish I knew then what I know now.
I do light wheeling (Desert) and the beach, this is a weekend toy. Over the next 12 months we will do some camping so I wanted to be more capable of some terrain besides desert.
I've had 4 wheel drives for years because the Army made me that way but never one that had so many aftermarket options.
Well, about two weeks ago I was literally driving to a local shop to ask about pricing on gears and the Death Wobble started. Terrifying!! Some research on youtube and the web has advised me to change my ball joints (spicer), probably Currie tie rod/drag link, currie or JKS trac bar? Hopefully that cures it.
Comments and suggestions would be appreciated to help guide me. Thanks

My plan is to add
-JKS or RE Disconnects
-Maybe Novak shifter cable cuz getting into 4hi is a little tough unless there is a cheaper way?
-MetalCloak Overline for the 35's in the garage
-Truetrac front locker
-build up my axles but I know that will cost $$$$

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the sickness! Start out with the track bar, and get the tires balanced well. The shop can check if the BJ's are worn, as well as unit bearings, tie rod ends and such.

Reactions: Jaime313
Thank you guys for the reply. All the tie rod ends and both upper ball joints look pretty gunky. Also when I pull out of my driveway and start to turn I hear a "clunk".
IMG_5393.jpg

Looks good! I don't blame you for getting away from motorcycles. I have been riding most of my life and owned just about every cool motorcycle you can think of. I gave it up though because with 3 kids, a wife, and responsibilities, it's just too dangerous. There's way to many distracted drivers on the roads these days, and I don't want to get taken out because one of them has to check their Instagram to see who liked their photo.

The Jeep is awesome because when you take the top and doors off, it gives you that feeling of riding a motorcycle almost, but you have the safety aspect where if someone hits you, it's probably them who is going to have the most damage.

Welcome! There’s tons of helpful people here and definitely a good crew.

Like others I got ride of my motorcycle too and now that cooler weather is here I’m dying to get the top and doors off already... but nothing is quite like the open air feeling - especially once you’re offroad.

Reactions: Chris and Jaime313
I can see the knowledge is here. Thank you guys for the warm welcome!
I have moments of missing Two wheels but topless with no doors and other Jeeps waving at me reminds me of being on my last motorcycle 2007 Buell XB12R.
photo 3.jpg

Reactions: rasband
When I bought mine, as soon as I got to about 60-65MPH the whole front would shake like crazy, then once past 65 was smooth. As soon as I got new tires...no more problem.

Yeah, the shaking was crazy. I thought I lost all my lug nuts on one of the tires. And Amazon had just dropped off my LED headlights that day lol

Welcome to the forum. Nice Buell, my last bike was a SuperHawk. I have weak moments every once in a while and venture in Ducati dealerships, but I have found the willpower to say no (and go straight to the liquor store).

Welcome to the forum. Nice Buell, my last bike was a SuperHawk. I have weak moments every once in a while and venture in Ducati dealerships, but I have found the willpower to say no (and go straight to the liquor store).
I like your will power lol, I gotta stay out of Bike dealerships.

Reactions: zebra12
Welcome brother, you must have been a command driver? I was always stuck with the old POS cargo. Not that I wasn’t appreciative to get a ride every now and then.

You are absolutely right. No one has ever noticed that. First drove for a Command Sgt Major and finished off my career driving for a Lieutenant Colonel.

First up, thank you for your service. I drove my first Humvee 28 years ago in the first desert skirmish. Never worried about the Colonel but always kept an eye on the First Sgt or CSM. Enjoy your TJ and welcome from Texas !

Last edited:
First up, thank you for your service. I drove my first Humvee 28 years in the first desert skirmish. Never worried about the Colonel but always kept an eye on the First Sgt or CSM. Enjoy your TJ and welcome from Texas !

Thank you for the warm welcome and for your service as well Greg 1LE. The Army was fun but Ft. Irwin deterred me from camping, hiking and off roading for almost 15 years after I got out. And now it’s what I really enjoy doing the most and now I’m trying to recreate my Humvee. Lol Go figure, Life is funny.