Some sort of transmission issue

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
So my automatic 2006 Wrangler has been having some issues lately that I think are transmission related but just wanted some confirmation of that. When it goes down into overdrive, it goes really really low like around 1300 RPM. It also sometimes shakes really hard and if I let off the gas, it goes away. It also has a weird problem where it will sit and rev up and down like 100 rpm as I am steady on the gas. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd check the fluid levels just to be sure. The 1300 rpm thing is kinda normal, the torque converter lockup feathers to almost fake another gear or ease the shift. It think it's called PMMT. Sometimes that can cause a pretty awful shudder, your bigger tires aren't helping that at all. Surging is probably not related to the transmission but it could be slipping, normally you'll get a code when things go south on the 42RLE. Don't forget to have the engine running and the thing warm when you check the fluid level.

Edit: hit the O/D lockout on the dash, it might improve how it drives a whole bunch

I'd check the fluid levels just to be sure. The 1300 rpm thing is kinda normal, the torque converter lockup feathers to almost fake another gear or ease the shift. It think it's called PMMT. Sometimes that can cause a pretty awful shudder, your bigger tires aren't helping that at all. Surging is probably not related to the transmission but it could be slipping, normally you'll get a code when things go south on the 42RLE. Don't forget to have the engine running and the thing warm when you check the fluid level.
Ill check the fluid tonight and this is something that just recently started to happen in the last month or so and havn't had any codes related to the transmission whatsoever.

I am having exactly the same trans issue with my 2004 TJ for the past 6-8 months. Trans fluid is Ok, I did a transmission and transfer case fluid change (also the filter) about 2 yrs ago (120K miles) and it was running smooth. But between the 128-131k miles I started noticing the jittering/shaking when the auto trans shifted from 3rd to the Over Drive.... Sometimes is pretty bad, other days is hardly noticeable but the shaking is present. One thing that I have learned through out the months and putting in some mileage is that the jittering/shaking is dependent on how hard I am pressing on the gas pedal...for example, if I am reving up "slowly" in the Highway to reach 55mph the shaking is pretty bad at approx. the 45-50mph mark, but if I am reving up harder/faster (like merging into the Highway) the shaking is barely noticeable or sometimes not even present. Hopefully someone here has encounter this and can pin point exactly what it could be.

Part of me wonders if the transmission mount getting old just starts to transmit some of these noises a little better so it becomes more noticeable. I wouldn't necessarily suggest throwing money at things but it did cross my mind.

Part of me wonders if the transmission mount getting old just starts to transmit some of these noises a little better so it becomes more noticeable. I wouldn't necessarily suggest throwing money at things but it did cross my mind.

I'll check it out, but wouldn't then the jittering/shaking be present when the trans shifts from any gear and not just from 3rd to OD? Forgot to mention, I also checked the trans skid plate....since I have a 2.5" lift kit I had to add spacers in order to mitigate the vibration I experienced from the lift mod...and all the bolts are good to go.