Something Leaking and Smoking on Exhaust Manifold

aslupecki

Supporting Member
Hi all - I got a couple things going on over the weekend. I am not sure if there's multiple issues or they're related.

First, after shutting of the Jeep, I am getting some smoking and burning smell. It looks like something is dripping on the exhaust manifold or heat shield on the driver side, near the O2 sensor right there. It doesn't do it when I am idling, but right after turning the engine off. Suggestions on where to start looking or how to diagnose.

The second issue is an intermittent tranny issue where I switch into gear and the Jeep revs like it's in neutral. It self corrects after 30-60 seconds. Very intermittent. I had this happen last winter and tranny fluid was low. Topping it up fixed it. So, I checked and it's low again. Could this be related to above or just need to track down a leak somewhere?

Yesterday, I got a check engine light and got a P1037 code. It looks like O2 sensor or wire, right where I see the smoking. I am assuming this is related to #1, but also assume I need to fix whatever is leaking first.

Where do I start? Thanks all.

Hi all - I got a couple things going on over the weekend. I am not sure if there's multiple issues or they're related.

First, after shutting of the Jeep, I am getting some smoking and burning smell. It looks like something is dripping on the exhaust manifold or heat shield on the driver side, near the O2 sensor right there. It doesn't do it when I am idling, but right after turning the engine off. Suggestions on where to start looking or how to diagnose.

The second issue is an intermittent tranny issue where I switch into gear and the Jeep revs like it's in neutral. It self corrects after 30-60 seconds. Very intermittent. I had this happen last winter and tranny fluid was low. Topping it up fixed it. So, I checked and it's low again. Could this be related to above or just need to track down a leak somewhere?

Yesterday, I got a check engine light and got a P1037 code. It looks like O2 sensor or wire, right where I see the smoking. I am assuming this is related to #1, but also assume I need to fix whatever is leaking first.

Where do I start? Thanks all.
Check the wire loom and make sure it isn't against the exhaust and burning. Look for oil leaks.

If you have to keep adding fluid to the trans, then you have a leak someplace. I'm not familiar with the routing of Auto trans lines, but trace them as best you can for leaks or burns.

Ray

I think I am getting somewhere. Looking for a little feedback on my conclusion and next steps based on some searches and advice in other threads. The tranny lines seem to be the issue. I see a drip from the bracket where the two lines are held to the engine in front of the cats (2nd pic) and some fluid is running down the line and then dripping on the exhaust manifold by the O2 sensor (1st pic). I was able to degrease and clean up the rubber hoses back from the radiator and the metal lines back to the drips. I don't see a hole, but everything is dry in front of the bracket and wet after. The lines look pretty rusty so I assume I have a leak around the bracket.

From other threads, it sounds like easiest fix is to cut the lines and run some 3/8" ID rubber tranny line to replace the rusty section. Any recommendation on where to cut or anything I need to avoid? Can I cut the rubber lines at the front and metal lines past the bracket and use barbed hose to hose connectors and clamps on the metal?

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg

Replacing a section would be fine as a temporary repair, but another one may surface in that same line...
I would suggest sourcing a replacement line and install a completely new line instead of just replacing a section.