Sound bar install over rollcage padding or cut padding

squaredog

I'm adding a sound bar to my 99 tj. The rollcage has the holes already but the rollcage padding doesn't have any holes for the bolts. I'm assuming it didn't come with a sound bar. My question, is from factory, was the rollcage padding cut shorter or were holes for the sound bar bolts cut through the padding?

I'm adding a sound bar to my 99 tj. The rollcage has the holes already but the rollcage padding doesn't have any holes for the bolts. I'm assuming it didn't come with a sound bar. My question, is from factory, was the rollcage padding cut shorter or were holes for the sound bar bolts cut through the padding?

I think the padding is shorter. It doesnt go all the way to the cross bar, it ends at the soundbar.

image.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ
I think the padding is shorter. It doesnt go all the way to the cross bar, it ends at the soundbar.

View attachment 358174

Mine came with the sound bar. My pads go further than the pic you posted—all the way to the cross-bar. The sound bar wraps around it.

But then again, my pads are black with a tan interior, which makes me think they were put on later. And my build sheet says that it came with a stereo delete. So I'm guessing that the sound bar could have been added later too, and maybe was just placed over the padding.

On the early models, the padding was thinner than on the later models, so maybe it's a question of how thick they are. On mine the sound bar wraps around them just fine.

I just know mine is 02 and came like that from the factory.

I think the thicker padding started in 03 and they also switched to the sound pods that year.

Also there are different pad part numbers for "With Speakers" and "Without Speakers"

So do you suspect that I have the pads designed for TJs without speakers, and that my sound bar fabric is just wrapped around the pads anyway?

Also there are different pad part numbers for "With Speakers" and "Without Speakers"

So do you suspect that I have the pads designed for TJs without speakers, and that my sound bar fabric is just wrapped around the pads anyway?

Why would they have a soundbar without speakers? I doubt if they would put a bar in JUST for a dome light.

Great info. As a note, I have a 06 TJ with a soft top (Bestop) and the cabin noise is deafening at highway speeds (I'm sure that's not news.) I flipped the top front back and measured then sketched a rough pattern that would clear all the hardware and structure but lie firmly on the frame. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood and tweaked the cut so the board lie firmly on the frame (padding) and with no rubbing on the sides of the board. It lifts out easily when I want the top open.I covered the board with a thin "front door mat" carpet material on the cabin side of the board. The reduction in cabin noise was truly amazing. It performed well beyond my expectations and cost me about $20. I added a moving blanket for even more quieting. Good tunes 4 all. It's now been there for 3 years. Minutes in and out.

Why would they have a soundbar without speakers? I doubt if they would put a bar in JUST for a dome light.

Sorry, I meant that perhaps my TJ came without a soundbar at all, and that when it was installed it was just wrapped around the pads.