Spare tire and bumper question

An easy and cheap fix is a 2" wheel spacer mounted to the tire carrier. Drop a washer or two for the other 1/4" on the lug bolts of the wheel spacer, mount the tire back on and you're done. You need to go out, not up. Rear brake light above the tire will not be affected.

Reactions: Phil Younger
An easy and cheap fix is a 2" wheel spacer mounted to the tire carrier. Drop a washer or two for the other 1/4" on the lug bolts of the wheel spacer, mount the tire back on and you're done. You need to go out, not up. Rear brake light above the tire will not be affected.

But wouldn’t you need longer studs? Or I could be misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the tire will mount on the tire carrier against the two upper snubbers, and the tailgate will close with the bottom snubber off, I would just remove it, see if it can be trimmed, or find another spacer you can mount that is the right thickness. Or, as has been suggested, just leave it off if the tire seems snug with just the two upper snubbers and the lug nuts.

It would be nice if Lowranger's solution will fix it since you will not have even more spare tire in your rear view mirror nor have to deal with the 3rd brake light.

I wish that would have worked for me but my issue was different where the OD of new tire actually would not clear the real steel bumper.

Where do I look for this "wheel spacer"?

And Phil Younger below suggests just removing the bottom snubber an see if that solves the problem. Is there a downside to removing the bottom snubber if the tire & wheel are snugged up against the two upper snubbers and the carrier?

Chief

Where do I look for this "wheel spacer"?

And Phil Younger below suggests just removing the bottom snubber an see if that solves the problem. Is there a downside to removing the bottom snubber if the tire & wheel are snugged up against the two upper snubbers and the carrier?

Chief
That was glwood.
If you don't touch the bottom one the tire may put more twisting force on the gate. Glwood also suggested trimming it as an alternative to removal.

Thank you, lowranger. You must have been on PBR/Swift Boats or a SEAL. Y'all Brown Water Sailors are some badass sumbitches. Thank You!

Chief
I wasn't a seal, but was about to go into UDT which train with the seals, but they said I had to re-up for a year for the training. I declined. Was on a flat bottom IFS (inshore fire support). Being flat bottom, we could get a long was up the rivers and raise hell with Charlie. Twin 40s...50 cal and rocket launchers.

If trimming the bottom snubber won't work, there's always something like this that could be drilled to work...$6 on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KJ3T8I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

51X9tz6R9XL._SL1322_.jpg

Or these:
https://www.grainger.com/product/18...ice^c-plaid^82128346557-sku^18AH59-adType^PLA

That was glwood.
If you don't touch the bottom one the tire may put more twisting force on the gate. Glwood also suggested trimming it as an alternative to removal.

I'm thinking all three snubbers would need to be trimmed, or the wheel could not be "sucked up" to the carrier on "flat to flat" planes. If the upper snubbers were pushing the top of the tire out farther than the bottom snubber, the wheel would sit at an angle.

Chief

Reactions: Jeepaholic
I'm thinking all three snubbers would need to be trimmed, or the wheel could not be "sucked up" to the carrier on "flat to flat" planes. If the upper snubbers were pushing the top of the tire out farther than the bottom snubber, the wheel would sit at an angle.

Chief
This is what I've been getting at...I would take the spare off, shut the gate, air up spare, and hang it on the carrier, when the tire touches all 3 snubbers, take a look at back of wheel to carrier space. That distance is how thick your spacer needs to be, or how much you need to shave from each snubber. Do this before buying anything.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...icle=2006-42-356-—————-4-1&tag=wranglerorg-20

Chief
I don't think it would sit at an angle if you bolted it down solid to the carrier before you aired it up.