Spare tire cap vs cover

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
A while back I was looking at American Convoy's soft top and saw a spare tire cover that I really liked! I was wondering if anyone else can seen one/something like it? It's not like a normal cover that goes over the entire tire.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I've never seen one like that. What purpose does it serve? And is part of it rolled up for some reason or is that something else hanging from it?.

well, my workplace makes me park outside and the sun can get quite intense during the summers, so I was hoping to prevent my spare from sun rot. I hate the look of the black full spare covers though and noticed only the top of the spare is showing some discoloration, therefore, I remembered this "cap". I rotate my spare every 6000 miles but its only my summer jeep so it can take a while to get that many miles.

"Sun rot" isn't really a thing. Dry rot is, and certainly the sun can speed up the process. However, I don't think it's something you should be all that concerned about. Otherwise, people would be running around, covering all four of their tires, not just the spare.

Reactions: dylansalrin
A lot of Rv owners put covers over all the tires. Well, except when in motion. I dont know if they think it keeps the tires useable longer, but any 10 year old tire I would replace whether it had a cover or not. I assume that they think putting only a few thousand miles on the tires makes them safe regardless of tire age.