Spare tire carrier or tailgate mount?

ScottB

TJ Enthusiast
I currently have 33x12.50x17, Mickey Thompson MTZ on my 06 TJ. It might not matter, but I also have a 3" Tera Flex suspension lift (Control arms and all).

Currently my full size 33" spare is attached to the stock carrier on my tailgate and has been for the last 7 months; about 4,000 miles. During this time, the Jeep has seen NO off road......at all. I do know that the weight of the 33" spare on the tailgate with the stock hinge will wear out soon. No problems yet, but the spare "vibrates" a lot when simply driving down the road.

I will soon be replacing the stock front and rear bumpers and here comes some questions or opinions.

I will be going with Smittybilt XRC bumpers both front and rear. That decision has been made. We all have opinions on the quality of products, but that is not my question.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but when I have 5 full size tires, I rotate all 5 of them and not just the 4 in use. When it comes to the "hanging" of the 33" spare tire, the Smittybilt XRC bumper has the option of using a tire carrier, I'm sure you know the type, hinge on the right side of bumper and swings out when you want to open the trunk.

smittybilt.jpg

However, there is another option out there that I like and that is a spare tire carrier by Tactik. The entire hinge on the tailgate is replaced.

TACTIK-12052.0014-Tailgate-Hinge-Reinforcement-97-06-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ.jpg

Here are the pros and cons with each.

This is considering that the Smittybilt XRC bumper will be used, no matter which way I decide to go.

Smittybilt:
Cons:
Swings on pivot point on the bumper, but I cannot see where there is any type of zerk fitting to grease the pivot point.
The more connections there are, the more chances there will be for rattles and squeaks. The carrier closes and latches with a handle.
In order to open the tailgate, you must first open the spare tire carrier.

Pros:
Cheaper that the Tactik by $75.00.
Easy to open and clean tailgate.
You can adjust the height of spare tire and the closeness to the tailgate.

Tactik:
Cons: Seems like a lot of weight on the tailgate. I know it is distributed, but still.
No adjustibility.
Costs $75.00 more that the Smittybilt

Pros:
No grease points necesary other than the normal tailgate hinge.
You only open the tailgate, not the carrier AND the tailgate.
Maybe difficult to clean behind the spare tire.
No vertical adjustment and very minor fore and aft adjustments.

I know it is matter of opinion, but I am looking for some things that I have not considered.

I am leaning more to the Tactik.

Thoughts???

I'd lean towards the integrated solution where opening the tailgate doesn't require more than one action myself. However... Do you plan to install corner armor? The new hinges may get in the way.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

We have an'04 TJ. Running 33/12.50x15's. The spare was originally mounted on the rear door stock mount location. The weight eventually caused the door to crack. This caused the door to flex and open unexpectedly. We went with the XRC bumper and tire mount. Very pleaded with it, though it was a bit challenging to install. There is a zerk fitting on the hinge, so lube is not a problem (you can actually see it in your photo of the bumper on the right side on top of the pivot point where it connects to the bumper). Looks great.

I'd go with an Exogate personally. With a 33" tire and an Exogate, that's all you need. I'm no fan of bumpers with built-in tire carriers, not at all.

The Tactik solution is basically the same thing as an Exogate, just extremely, extremely ugly.

I'd go with an Exogate personally. With a 33" tire and an Exogate, that's all you need. I'm no fan of bumpers with built-in tire carriers, not at all.

The Tactik solution is basically the same thing as an Exogate, just extremely, extremely ugly.
Yep I'd look among all those types of carriers and find the one you like best.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
I went with the Exogate and I'm glad I did. It handles the weight well of a 33" KM2. On the trail I hear people curse about having to open the tire carrier before opening the tail gate. Seems like a pain. also with the bumper mount that's a lot of extra weight on your bumper. Also have had people look at mine and say they wish they had gone that route. But like you said its a matter of opinion.

Another vote for the Exogate. Very strong, and looks factory, if that matters to you.
11759d1461005886-exogate-spare-tire-carrier-dsc_2611.jpg.800.jpg

But there's nothing wrong with the Tactic. It's a matter of opinion.
Nice install thread on the Exogate:

https://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/40222-exogate-tire-carrier.html

Last edited:
A little late to the party, but my two cents for future members who stumble upon this thread looking for advice.

I had the Bestop HighRock rear bumper with tire carrier. I took it on a road trip and the noise from the shaking about drove me insane. It got to the point that I stopped at a gas station, downed a bottled water, and jammed the empty bottle between the carrier and the tailgate in an attempt to get it to stop rattling.

I eventually replaced it with a Bestop bumper and an OR-Fab tire and jerry can carrier. I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Flapping soft top, loud ass mud tires or the sound of blowing wind does not bother me, but the smallest rattle or squeak drives me absolutely crazy! I turn into some kinda of monster obsessed with knocking on the dash, adjusting or pushing everything I can reach or looking around the Jeep (or whatever I am driving) trying to find the culprit.

That being said, I'm going with the tailgate mount. Thanks for all of your input.

@ScottB If you have the painted torx bolts on your hinges they may take some finessing to remove. There’s some good info in this thread:

New Exogate Install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1075363&share_tid=3669&url=https://wranglertjforum.com/index.php?threads/New-Exogate-Install.3669/&share_type=t

I'm sure mine are painted, I have never looked. The hinges are still covered with the black plastic OEM covers, and I'm not even real sure how to remove them.

I'm sure mine are painted, I have never looked. The hinges are still covered with the black plastic OEM covers, and I'm not even real sure how to remove them.

The plastic covers pop off, may need some gentle prying. The earlier TJ’s have the painted torx bolts, newer years have regular.