Spare Tire Carrier Suggestions

JCross

Hello all,
I am looking for some help with deciding which way to go on a spare tire carrier for my sons Jeep.

He is 16 and will be paying for this himself, so cost is very much a concern.

He has 33" tires and the spare is mounted to a steel wheel.

This is our first Jeep and we do not know much about them.

Is there an advantage to upgrading the mounting of the tailgate/hinges and using a beefed up tailgate mounted set up or is using a bumper mounted tire carrier the only good route?

I just don't know if the factory hinges are strong enough to hold that much weight. The tailgate seems to be sagging a bit without the tire on it.
The tailgate is in very good shape with no rust, if that helps.

I am not afraid to drill larger or more holes into the body to add strength to the hinges if need be.

As always, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

You'll find most of us will tell you to go with an Exogate / MORryde tub mounted tire carrier.

This is IMHO the best way to mount a spare to your TJ. There is a reason they are so popular (y)

Or remove the carrier altogether and carry a tire plug kit and valve stem repair tool (having learned how to use them).

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
Or just make sure that the spare is secure on good stock type hinges and contacts the bumpstops behind it so it won't bounce around and a 33" tire should be light enough right where it belongs. That's where I carry my 32's.

I'm looking for sort of the same. I'm wanting to BUY once cry Once with a BUDGET of around 1000.00 But I need to purchase a Tire Carrier that I can adapt a Cargo Basket and Gas cans to, as the back of My TJ will hold my Dometic Fridge and other supplies. I'm wanting something that I can attach gas cans and the Basket to. I looked at the LOD and HARD ROCK but am trying to get fellow Knowledgeable for ANY other Ideas before I pull the trigger. My jeep is a 2003 RUBICON with a 4 inch Lift On currently 33's. Any help would be Great. Thanks.

I'm looking for sort of the same. I'm wanting to BUY once cry Once with a BUDGET of around 1000.00 But I need to purchase a Tire Carrier that I can adapt a Cargo Basket and Gas cans to, as the back of My TJ will hold my Dometic Fridge and other supplies. I'm wanting something that I can attach gas cans and the Basket to. I looked at the LOD and HARD ROCK but am trying to get fellow Knowledgeable for ANY other Ideas before I pull the trigger. My jeep is a 2003 RUBICON with a 4 inch Lift On currently 33's. Any help would be Great. Thanks.
ORO used to make a carrier that mounted Jerry cans between the tire and the tailgate. I ran one for years with 35 and 37 inch spares. The tire sticks way out behind the vehicle, but it works. Not sure if they still make that model.

Rusty's Off Road carrier is awesome if you want to stay looking stock with original rear bumper...

20200909_123603.jpg