Spare tire carrier

Midtenn

TJ Addict
I have 15x10 wheels with 3.75” backspace and 33x12.5” tires. I’m going to upgrade the hinges to MoreRyde for sure but I do not have a carrier at all. Should I get a stock carrier or one of those upgraded ones from rugged ridge. All I have back there now is the mounting bolts.

Reactions: Cheetokps
Since you intend to upgrade to the MoreRyde setup and you presently donot have the factory spare tire mount; you might as well upgrade to one of the aftermarket tire mounts.

Since you intend to upgrade to the MoreRyde setup and you presently donot have the factory spare tire mount; you might as well upgrade to one of the aftermarket tire mounts.
Sure. Sometimes the aftermarket is better, sometimes worse. The one I had in mind was the one-piece made by rugged ridge called Spartan or whatever. I didn’t know if that one would get the snubbers in the proper spot or would further adjustment be necessary.

I'm in a similar situation, I got a Morryde and one of my studs broke off my tire carrier so I have been using just 2 lugnuts to hold it on. I figure it not a good idea to do that when I replace my stock spare with a full sized 33

I used my OEM carrier with my MorRyde as it seemed to be holding up just fine. If I were in your shoes, though and had to buy something either way, I'd probably buy a new aftermarket carrier - may as well get something stronger, or at least new so you know it hasn't been stressed with an unknown PO's heavy spare.

I think I've seen it mentioned in another thread that the Rugged Ridge model you referenced is pretty solid and good quality.

Does the fact my wheels are 15x10 play into this decision at all?
I believe the bolt pattern of your wheels and tire size would be the limiting factors. I'm assuming your bolt pattern is the 5x4.5 standard OEM pattern since you're running 15s, so as long as the carrier has the same pattern (or can be adjusted to it), it should be fine. As for rim width, remember, your tires will be wider than the rims and it's the tires that butt up against the snubbers on the tailgate and can potentially interfere with the bumper, depending on your setup.

I believe the bolt pattern of your wheels and tire size would be the limiting factors. I'm assuming your bolt pattern is the 5x4.5 standard OEM pattern since you're running 15s, so as long as the carrier has the same pattern (or can be adjusted to it), it should be fine. As for rim width, remember, your tires will be wider than the rims and it's the tires that butt up against the snubbers on the tailgate and can potentially interfere with the bumper, depending on your setup.

I was thinking about that after I posted but wasn’t sure. I’ll go with that rugged ridge one. Thanks

Reactions: DaveC
It appears that solution will not work
AD9427D4-26F9-49D5-BBBE-DE7D8AEFE032.jpeg

1C880505-54D7-4D0A-B32D-A4B789687EC8.jpeg

so I tried flipping the wheel around
33211F67-6667-43B5-8210-C5C5A04B0CE5.jpeg

And then tried again on the ground
F566912B-869A-46BB-AB63-857342A69702.jpeg

unless I’m doing something dumb, it doesn’t appear like an aftermarket carrier will work. I’d need wheels with a much larger offset.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq
It appears that solution will not work View attachment 250336
View attachment 250337

so I tried flipping the wheel around
View attachment 250338
And then tried again on the ground View attachment 250339

unless I’m doing something dumb, it doesn’t appear like an aftermarket carrier will work. I’d need wheels with a much larger offset.
It's all dictated by the backspacing on the wheels and width of the tire. Aftermarket wheels typically have 1-2" different backspacing, which results in what's happening here.

Many folks cut down rubber mallets or pieces of PVC to make spacers to fill that gap. The other solution would be to use a different wheel with different backspacing.

I can't speak to the specific dimensions of that carrier as to how or if it differs from the OEM carrier, but I'd be willing to bet it's not that different. Any wheel and tire combo other than stock will result in a different fit, sometimes off enough to need spacers, like here.

I wonder what the dimensions are of the stock carrier to see I should return this. I just didn't expect to see such a great distance between the tire and the tailgate.

This is what I was concerned about in the inital thread.

I wonder what the dimensions are of the stock carrier to see I should return this.

The factory mount is 7" between mounting surfaces. What is the distance on that RR mount? If memory serves, the Hyline Offroad mount is 7" between mounting surfaces.

The factory mount is 7" between mounting surfaces. What is the distance on that RR mount? If memory serves, the Hyline Offroad mount is 7" between mounting surfaces.
The RR spartan is 10" between mounting surfaces. So It beeing deeper + my low backspace is probably exacerbating this issue quite a bit.

So I can with have some giant snubbers or purchase a OEM mount.

Thanks.

The RR spartan is 10" between mounting surfaces. So It beeing deeper + my low backspace is probably exacerbating this issue quite a bit.
that thing is designed for OEM spec wheels with 5" or so of backspace

also from the RR info page: "Tire mounts 2 inches further away form the body"

So I can with have some giant snubbers or purchase a OEM mount.
or buy the stronger Hyline mount if you can't find an inexpensive OEM mount

that thing is designed for OEM spec wheels with 5" or so of backspace

also from the RR info page: "Tire mounts 2 inches further away form the body"

or buy the stronger Hyline mount if you can't find an inexpensive OEM mount
Sounds like I clearly failed to read anything except skimmed off amazon.

The hyline would give me a brake light, which I've been forgoing for some time. Or I can remove the back seat and use that area.

Have you tried putting a wheel spacer on there and see if that rectified your issue? It worked on the stock one for me to clearance the 3rd brake light