Spare tire option thoughts

JeepAFinMT

What's everyone's thoughts on spare tire options? Go with MoreRyde/Exogate? New bumper with swing out? Keep stock tire carrier?

I am moving up from 31-33s in the very near future. My current tailgate does sag a little and I have to slam it shut really hard to keep it from rattling.

Just looking for thoughts to decide my next upgrade.

I am fighting the urge to not even carry a spare. The only flat tires I have had on my Jeeps were after I rolled one twice In the 80’s. I think the spare was even flat.

I have the MoreRyde/Exogate with a 33 and really like it. I can't think of a negative. If 31 just need the stock one, if 33 or larger I vote the above.

I switched from a HEAVY Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper and Carrier Combo to the MoreRyde set-up. The RH 4x4 is a quality product and it took a beating on the trail and never let me down. Even a after many years the retainer spring broke and when I contacted them about replacement parts they said there bumper come with a lifetime warranty and the sent me replacement parts for free including shipping, you can't ask for more than that. The only reason I changed was the reduce some weight. I am now running a Moreryde with the HD hinges and a Savvy Alum. rear bumper. I bet I reduced the weight close to a 100 lbs, but I also had the cargo rack mounted to the bumper. Personally I like not having to swing open the carrier and them open the tailgate, where now it's all in one.

I switched from a HEAVY Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper and Carrier Combo to the MoreRyde set-up. The RH 4x4 is a quality product and it took a beating on the trail and never let me down. Even a after many years the retainer spring broke and when I contacted them about replacement parts they said there bumper come with a lifetime warranty and the sent me replacement parts for free including shipping, you can't ask for more than that. The only reason I changed was the reduce some weight. I am now running a Moreryde with the HD hinges and a Savvy Alum. rear bumper. I bet I reduced the weight close to a 100 lbs, but I also had the cargo rack mounted to the bumper. Personally I like not having to swing open the carrier and them open the tailgate, where now it's all in one.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought much about the weight issue. I agree with you in having it all together in one. I would however like to carry my hi lift Jack back there.

Reactions: lowranger
That's a good point. I hadn't thought much about the weight issue. I agree with you in having it all together in one. I would however like to carry my hi lift Jack back there.
I no longer carry a Hi Lift but if you want to there are several ways to mount one. Just please don't do this, in accident I would rather have this thing behind me and coming through my windshield.

J108260.jpg

Reactions: PCO6
Reactions: Plumber1
What's everyone's thoughts on spare tire options? Go with MoreRyde/Exogate? New bumper with swing out? Keep stock tire carrier?

I am moving up from 31-33s in the very near future. My current tailgate does sag a little and I have to slam it shut really hard to keep it from rattling.
I made a small bracket that kept the weight off the stock tailgate hinges. Worked for 7 years with a 35" spare until the Jeep was sold. $25. I've also just bolted a 1/2" steel plate to the bumper.

SPARE TIRE MOUNT.jpg

IMAG0011 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).JPG

The only issue I have with the hi-lift mounted that way on the tailgate is that if you wheel on tight trails where downed trees can be across the trail the jack can catch on the tree and be bent.

IMG00259[1].jpg

This was my old rear bumper and my hi-lift didn't stick above the cage by much but one day on a trail with a tree leaning across the trail I ended up bending my hi-lift. So when I figure out what I am doing with my new setup my jack will be mounted in such a way that this can't happen again.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The only issue I have with the hi-lift mounted that way on the tailgate is that if you wheel on tight trails where downed trees can be across the trail the jack can catch on the tree and be bent.

View attachment 215007

This was my old rear bumper and my hi-lift didn't stick above the cage by much but one day on a trail with a tree leaning across the trail I ended up bending my hi-lift. So when I figure out what I am doing with my new setup my jack will be mounted in such a way that this can't happen again.
This is how I have mine mounted, it keeps it out of the weather when the h-top is on and securely mounted with some DIY mounts. I store the base with my recovery gear and the breaker bar, extension, wheel lock key, and socket store in the handle with a keeper pin through the handle and breaker bar.
9F806DC0-D999-4838-8DC1-E4B418EE4BA0.jpeg
4054CADD-6530-4F22-B4DF-E004E1B72E77.jpegD9D0BFA1-19EE-4E03-9E02-F567C9E29848.jpegB428D22A-143D-44AD-9D89-766D519F03AE.jpeg30822F5D-A8B3-4416-8FCA-2A2E1458878E.jpeg98597883-3B5B-4C61-81D2-DF8924C80DED.jpeg3F989A4F-2CA6-4466-BDD8-71D6CD20C865.jpeg760AED79-3251-4B7A-8C4C-F5B1C5F154D3.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
For me it's all in packaging around the storage boxes I have.

IMG_3506.JPG

I've got this storage box which blocks that area so I would have to mount the hi-lift higher above it. I've also thought about drilling the back side of the box and mounting it there. Since I don't have a rear seat anymore it might just happen.

Although I seldom carry a Hi Lift any more, this is where one mounts on a Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper:

Rear of Jeep.jpg

When I was carrying the Hi Lift on a semi regular basis, I drilled out the hole in the Hi Lift base plate to use a hitch pin rather than a cotter pin so I can store the base plate inside and out of the way. [Also drilled the handle for a hitch pin as shown.] Since I was using my Max-axe multi tool more often than my Hi Lift I attached it to the jack bar with Quick Fists and wing nuts, easily removed in seconds on the rare occasion that I would actually need the Hi Lift.

As noted above, I seldom carry the Hi Lift any more, and I have moved the Max-Axe multi tool to my Sprinter. I carry a D-handle shovel, "Silky Katana Boy" folding saw, and small hatchet in the jeep instead.

Although I seldom carry a Hi Lift any more, this is where one mounts on a Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper:

View attachment 215024

When I was carrying the Hi Lift on a semi regular basis, I drilled out the hole in the Hi Lift base plate to use a hitch pin rather than a cotter pin so I can store the base plate inside and out of the way. [Also drilled the handle for a hitch pin as shown.] Since I was using my Max-axe multi tool more often than my Hi Lift I attached it to the jack bar with Quick Fists and wing nuts, easily removed in seconds on the rare occasion that I would actually need the Hi Lift.

As noted above, I seldom carry the Hi Lift any more, and I have moved the Max-Axe multi tool to my Sprinter. I carry a D-handle shovel, "Silky Katana Boy" folding saw, and small hatchet in the jeep instead.
I piggyback the axe on the jack and similarly I drilled and use a pin on the base.
0485689A-6C9F-4919-BA6D-F2FFD2CCBDD4.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
I have the Exogate with a 37" which doesn't appear to be working out so well. I'd like to put the spare in the cab, but need to keep the back seat.

Used to have the Rock Hard rear bumper and carrier and hated it.

I've thought of carrying a 35" spare to decrease the weight and clearance back there. I've only used the spare once, but I've had two tires go flat before (trail hazard).

I have the Exogate with a 37" which doesn't appear to be working out so well. I'd like to put the spare in the cab, but need to keep the back seat.

Used to have the Rock Hard rear bumper and carrier and hated it.

I've thought of carrying a 35" spare to decrease the weight and clearance back there. I've only used the spare once, but I've had two tires go flat before (trail hazard).

I know most here won't put Rustys product on their Jeeps but their tire carrier/tailgate hinge support is rated for up to a 40" tire.

Rusty's Tire Carrier - 1997-2006 TJ / LJ Wrangler - FREE SHIPPING - TJ / LJ Wrangler - Body Panels, Flares & Tire Carriers - Jeep Exterior Parts & Accessories (rustysoffroad.com)

A member over on the JeepForum has one with a 37" tire and has had good luck with it.

1609635985809.png