Spare Tire

I carry a spare, back in the early 80s, I didn't have a spare in or on my CJ5. We were riding some old coal mine roads and I hit a piece of rebar stuck in the rocks. Luckily my buddy had a spare and I made it home.

I have always had a spare since I bought my Jeep 4 years ago. A couple month ago when I was looking at reworking the bumper and spare tire mount. I had my spare off and did a quick run to a local trail with out it. Easier trail with not a lot of rocks. I found the 1 rock sticking out of the side wall and took out the side wall. 7 plugs later to get it off the trail and it seemed to be holding. I pulled off on the freeway to check it and watched as the plugs spit out of the sidewall. Called AAA figured no big deal 50 mile tow, they told me 5 hour wait ( give me a break on a major freeway in LA) I sent my buddy with the rim up to get a tire (I had called ahead and they said they could put a 35” on it) I installed the tire when he got back and let the jack down and noticed it was a 33” tire. Called the shop they said they would take care of it but I didn’t want to back track the 1/2 hour back. They gave me a bit of a discount and headed home. Got home found tire was expired 7 years old. GUESS WHO IS NOT GOING OUT WITHOUT A SPARE AGAIN?
5D47CA3E-C09C-49C2-84C3-71A4230470EF.jpeg

Reactions: Kon and PirataCoqui
As everyone has already said, it's a choice, whatever you chose be prepared to live with it.

I ride my bike 90% alone, with a plug kit tucked under my seat, if that doesn't work during a flat, then it's just me who needs to worry about what to do and how to do it.

In my tj, I ride 90% of the time with my daughter, son, and wife...a spare is a must, it's not even a consideration to do otherwise.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Another thing to consider when not carrying a spare is the other types of vehicles that you wheel with.
TJ's and JK/JL/JT's have different bolt patterns.
First, I do carry a spare, and a plug kit.
As an additional backup (for me or others), I started carrying a JK to TJ adapter.
Greatly increases your odds for being able to use someone else's spare.

I carry a spare Jeep. Always wheel with friends who can be pursued to go back to camp and get your spare off the trailer for you. I also have stems, plugs, air, lug nuts etc etc in the Jeep. Spare is just too heavy and hangs up on climbs. Have yet to have a flat on the trail I could not fix, but that day is coming.