Spark plug removal on TJ 97

TJartist

I have watched and read several threads on spark plug removal. I have done my own vehicle maintenance all my life and so not to concerned about removing spark plugs. My plugs seem pretty straight forward 97 TJ 4l 6 cyl. But the forward one by the radiator looks like it is covered by the A/C compressor. Do I have to remove it, to get access to the plug? and if so how. remove the four bolts on top of the compressor and slide to side? thanks

It's a PITA for sure, but with a combination of a universal joint and an extension(s) for your ratchet it's doable. It's bad placement of the compressor, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
What works best for me is an extension with a wobble joint on the socket end. I found the universal was too big.

Reactions: SSTJ
Yes that front plug is difficult to reach. Use a 3/8" ratchet with an extension with a 3/8" u-joint next to the socket and it comes right out. Don't use a 1/2" drive ratchet to install spark plugs, too much danger of overtightening them with that long of a ratchet wrench handle.

I've been wrenching for years and pretty much never used to do this but, consider disconnecting your battery. I wasn't paying attention when changing out #2 cylinder plug and my ratchet welded itself to a non-insulated alternator terminal; fortunately, the fusible wire saved my harness but it took out my battery. Got a decent shock as well.

I've been wrenching for years and pretty much never used to do this but, consider disconnecting your battery. I wasn't paying attention when changing out #2 cylinder plug and my ratchet welded itself to a non-insulated alternator terminal; fortunately, the fusible wire saved my harness but it took out my battery. Got a decent shock as well.
I have an export and the battery is on the other side! :) lol