Specialty tools needed for our TJs?

F Troop

TJ Enthusiast
I’m getting ready to do the un-lift of my Jeep and,I was going over the tools that I’d need making sure I have everything on hand.

It got me thinking about what special tools that we use on our rides.

Up until now I’ve never needed any torx bits to work on a vehicle but, now I do.

So, what other special tools do we need to maintain our Jeeps?

I wouldn't call torx bits a special tool, because really they should be in everyone's tool box. There's really nothing you need that is all that out of the norm. If you do ball joints, you may need a few extra spacers, because ours are an odd size but similar to many 4x4s.

13mm 12-point socket for unit bearing bolts.

Not uncommon or "special" but almost all of my 13mm sockets are 6-point.

I’m getting ready to do the un-lift of my Jeep and,I was going over the tools that I’d need making sure I have everything on hand.

It got me thinking about what special tools that we use on our rides.

Up until now I’ve never needed any torx bits to work on a vehicle but, now I do.

So, what other special tools do we need to maintain our Jeeps?
Pick up this kit.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-Master-Bit-Socket-Set-37-Piece-H3DBS37PC/204759235It also has the hex bits and fits a 3/8” socket. If you can get a 3/8” impact or even a right angle impact, it makes it very easy to work on a lot of different things

An extra, semi-dependable floor jack. My 97 had 21mm LCA bolts. I also have ratchet drive T55, T60, & T70 bits for square head differential & T-Case plugs. Harbor Freight spring compressors have made life easier more than once. I have a crescent/spud for lining up bolt holes. A decent pry bar beats a screwdriver in my book. 12 pack of PBR & I'm ready to do some damage.

Reactions: Mjv
I wouldn't call torx bits a special tool, because really they should be in everyone's tool box. There's really nothing you need that is all that out of the norm. If you do ball joints, you may need a few extra spacers, because ours are an odd size but similar to many 4x4s.

I wouldn’t call a torx bit special either but, I’ve never needed one to work on any of my vehicles. I’ve used the smaller sizes around the house but, I don’t think that I’ve taken the larger t40, t45 or, t50 out of the socket holder.
I was asking more for the guys that are new to Jeeps and doing the mechanical work on them for the first time.