Speedo gear won't stop leaking

red02tj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Back in February, after my lift/tire install I replaced my speedo gear and got a new Oring. After I replaced it, I noticed some leaking, so I tried reseating the speedo gear two different times, making sure the Oring wasn’t twisted and the wishbone clamp was snug. When that didn’t work, I took it to the local shop, they put on a new oring, and now ~2months later, it’s leaking again.

Any suggestions?

1BDF1B8A-59BE-4AC7-BA1B-E094FB95AB12.jpeg

F2A024F2-1410-459C-B2C0-38FE3CA0BCFF.jpeg

2608C2E0-DA66-4020-A334-03C0338FA9DE.jpeg

B55D846B-0A88-4212-A237-A7983ABA717B.jpeg

How confident are you that both o-rings (the new one you purchaced and the one the shop installed) had the correct dimensions of an OEM o-ring?

Unless there's a burr cutting the o-ring during installation, or there's crud and debris lodging between the o-ring and it's mating surface, it should never leak.

o-ring, o-ring, o-ring, o-ring, o-ring.......word has lost all meaning.

This is the Oring I used
https://www.quadratec.com/products/55200_7030.htm
And the shop is a well regarded Jeep shop, so I’d *like* to think they also used a correct one.

It’s got to come out again and I’ll make sure it gets a good cleaning now that its gunked up, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

I would make sure the fluid level is not too high and breather hose is not plugged, both of which could cause fluid to leak where it normally wouldn’t.

Reactions: red02tj
O rings shouldn't go in dry. Try lubing the ring with a little grease or oil.

Check the sealing surface too and maybe spray some brake cleaner on a clean rag and make sure the o ring area is spotless.

I bought my gear from LA Speedo Gear. My original o ring was torn. New one was perfect. No more leaks.

-Mac

O rings shouldn't go in dry. Try lubing the ring with a little grease or oil.

Check the sealing surface too and maybe spray some brake cleaner on a clean rag and make sure the o ring area is spotless.

I bought my gear from LA Speedo Gear. My original o ring was torn. New one was perfect. No more leaks.

-Mac

Thanks...I've got two of these coming https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM8RW34/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'll make sure its better cleaned and try again.

I would make sure the fluid level is not too high

Fluid is just under the hole where the speedo gear goes, I always thought it was like the manual transmission where you fill it until it oozes out.

I'd be cautious about RTV...I've seen many an oil pickup tube clogged with chunks of overzealous RTVers.

O-ring properly lubbed, not rolled in a clean housing will work.

If anything is wrong with the housing you could always put ina SYE...it replaces that rear housing.

-Mac

How confident are you that both o-rings (the new one you purchaced and the one the shop installed) had the correct dimensions of an OEM o-ring?

Unless there's a burr cutting the o-ring during installation, or there's crud and debris lodging between the o-ring and it's mating surface, it should never leak.

o-ring, o-ring, o-ring, o-ring, o-ring.......word has lost all meaning.

Winner winner…and this jeep continues to teach me attention to detail and patience.

Speedo started leaking again so I pulled it *again* and laid the original Oring side by side with one of the replacements. Despite all the documentation saying it was a direct replacement, the original Oring was noticeably thicker. It looked like it was still in good shape, back it went and hopefully 4th times the charm.