Squeaky Clutch

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys! So I have an 03 Rubicon with fairly low miles (70,000) and my clutch likes to squeak.. here’s the kicker, it ONLY squeaks in the summer and/or on hotter days OR when I have my AC going. When I’m not running the AC it takes a little while to get squeaking and since it’s my daily that happens about 70% of the time, depending on how much I drive it that day. However, it pretty much immediately starts squeaking when the AC is going. I got this Jeep in March of 2020 and I noticed it last summer around June. I peaked around down there and greased up the clutched and that seemed to help but not for long. But then, come the end of August-September when the weather cooled down (I live in Northeast Nevada so we get all 4 season. 100° summers and -10°winters) it stopped and I didn’t hear it at all until about a month ago when it got hot. I’ve read some threads and points about a bad spring or dirt being built up but I have no clue why it only does it when the AC is going or when the weather is warm. Anyway, anything would help and the squeaking it’s starting to annoy me. I’ll post of video of the clutched being pushed in and you can hear the AC blasting. Anything helps

Attachments

• IMG_4230.MOV
    12.5 MB
I am having a similar issue, but mine is making more of a clicking noise. Like yours it only does it after it is good and warmed up. Mine seems to be coming more from the slave cylinder/ throw out bearing. Mine is on an 06 Rubicon.

Couldn’t play video, so don’t know what your hearing, but I just finished replacing my clutch at 53K miles due to a throw out bearing failure. I inspected the parts and what I saw was all the oil in the grease had separated from the pariffin binder, all that was left was a wax (paraffin) substance. Age takes it toll on parts, even if low mileage.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
Mine was the pivot ball on the passenger side of the release fork. Grease had dried up and the fork would squeak when the pedal was pressed. When I replaced the clutch I also replaced the fork and ball and no more noise. Heat probably changes the friction properties of the dissimilar materials.

Hey guys! So I have an 03 Rubicon with fairly low miles (70,000) and my clutch likes to squeak.. here’s the kicker, it ONLY squeaks in the summer and/or on hotter days OR when I have my AC going. When I’m not running the AC it takes a little while to get squeaking and since it’s my daily that happens about 70% of the time, depending on how much I drive it that day. However, it pretty much immediately starts squeaking when the AC is going. I got this Jeep in March of 2020 and I noticed it last summer around June. I peaked around down there and greased up the clutched and that seemed to help but not for long. But then, come the end of August-September when the weather cooled down (I live in Northeast Nevada so we get all 4 season. 100° summers and -10°winters) it stopped and I didn’t hear it at all until about a month ago when it got hot. I’ve read some threads and points about a bad spring or dirt being built up but I have no clue why it only does it when the AC is going or when the weather is warm. Anyway, anything would help and the squeaking it’s starting to annoy me. I’ll post of video of the clutched being pushed in and you can hear the AC blasting. Anything helps
The noise you are hearing is the same noise I had coming from the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch assembly prior to the hydraulic slave going bad.
Check the master cylinder reservoir; you may find the fluid a low which indicates a leak somewheres.
There have been several members recently that have had this same problem; most recently Viking Jeeper.
The PN for the Mopar OEM hydraulic master cylinder and slave is; 52107652AC, but if you can find that 52107652AM will also work.

The noise you are hearing is the same noise I had coming from the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch assembly prior to the hydraulic slave going bad.
Check the master cylinder reservoir; you may find the fluid a low which indicates a leak somewheres.
There have been several members recently that have had this same problem; most recently Viking Jeeper.
The PN for the Mopar OEM hydraulic master cylinder and slave is; 52107652AC, but if you can find that 52107652AM will also work.
Ah. That would make sense. Did your also rattle pretty bad when at times in Neutral and when you turned it off?

Couldn’t play video, so don’t know what your hearing, but I just finished replacing my clutch at 53K miles due to a throw out bearing failure. I inspected the parts and what I saw was all the oil in the grease had separated from the pariffin binder, all that was left was a wax (paraffin) substance. Age takes it toll on parts, even if low mileage.
Oh shoot. The video is good on my end. I’ll try uploading it again. Thanks for the help!

My 03 Rubicon had to have a new clutch at 58,000 miles....don’t let low mileage fool you into thinking it isn’t 18 years old ....and, low mileage is good in some ways, bad in others. The more thinks are used the better they tend to work. 4000 miles a year means a lot of sitting, and all kinds of things go on ...seals dry, lubricants evaporate, gel or simply go bad, films form on surfaces and way more....The TJ looks great and where you live looks like camels would enjoy living there.

Reactions: Daryl
I’ve been living with a similar issue for years on my 04 Rubicon, sticking and squeaking in the summer. Just got around to replacing the master/slave with a new prefilled assembly and now it shifts like a new(ish) Jeep.

Reactions: CharlesHS