Squealing noise

It isn't always the CV joint but I guess most of the time. I recently had noise that ended up being the front output seal on my transfer case. I could not hear it like you could by turning the driveshaft and mine required the jeep to run for a while before it started making noise.

It isn't always the CV joint but I guess most of the time. I recently had noise that ended up being the front output seal on my transfer case. I could not hear it like you could by turning the driveshaft and mine required the jeep to run for a while before it started making noise.
I also did not hear my noise until I drove the Jeep a little bit... maybe just coincidence though? Not sure. How expensive was the seal to replace?

Is the pinion seal firmly seated all around? There's no leak,but....
I'd have to agree it is somewhere in the front drive shaft. If you've narrowed the sound down to that location and there is no noise driving w/o the shaft installed then that points strongly to the shaft being the problem. Any chance you could have dropped a needle bearing when installing the new Ujoint? Or possibly having the ujoint not centered right? Or even just getting a ujoint that wasn't lubed at the factory could happen.
But that's where I'd narrow down my search to.
Just be aware that sometimes a noise can travel from where it starts to where its heard. If possible, rebuild the entire shaft. Even better, do you have a spare shaft, or have a buddy that could loan you theirs for an hour or so?

Is the pinion seal firmly seated all around? There's no leak,but....
I'd have to agree it is somewhere in the front drive shaft. If you've narrowed the sound down to that location and there is no noise driving w/o the shaft installed then that points strongly to the shaft being the problem. Any chance you could have dropped a needle bearing when installing the new Ujoint? Or possibly having the ujoint not centered right? Or even just getting a ujoint that wasn't lubed at the factory could happen.
But that's where I'd narrow down my search to.
Just be aware that sometimes a noise can travel from where it starts to where its heard. If possible, rebuild the entire shaft. Even better, do you have a spare shaft, or have a buddy that could loan you theirs for an hour or so?
I will have to check all that stuff. I am pretty sure its not that u joint now. I am actually going to a retired mechanics house today to do some stuff to my Jeep so I will definitely be asking him.
All my friends have either an xj or a JK unfortunately. I can probably find a spare one somewhere for cheap tho. Hopefully

I also did not hear my noise until I drove the Jeep a little bit... maybe just coincidence though? Not sure. How expensive was the seal to replace?
$150 for the job at a transmission shop. Mostly labor but worth it because I was ready to rebuild my transfer case.
I had already replaced all 3 u joints and the cv joint because all signs pointed to the cv joint. I narrowed it down the the transmission or transfer case when I pulled both driveshafts and “drove” it in my garage and was able to get the sound going

$150 for the job at a transmission shop. Mostly labor but worth it because I was ready to rebuild my transfer case.
I had already replaced all 3 u joints and the cv joint because all signs pointed to the cv joint. I narrowed it down the the transmission or transfer case when I pulled both driveshafts and “drove” it in my garage and was able to get the sound going
Did it sound similar to the noise mine is making?

Did it sound similar to the noise mine is making?
I think mine was a lot louder and I could hear it while driving but it didn’t really sound like the angry sparrow videos that I watched.
If you drive around without the front driveshaft I would put it in 4hi so that the front output yoke is spinning on the transfer case.
I think the shop removed the yoke and it was pretty clear that my piece was loose and causing the noise.

this was mine

I think mine was a lot louder and I could hear it while driving but it didn’t really sound like the angry sparrow videos that I watched.
If you drive around without the front driveshaft I would put it in 4hi so that the front output yoke is spinning on the transfer case.
I think the shop removed the yoke and it was pretty clear that my piece was loose and causing the noise.

this was mine
Was that price with you removing the t case? Of course when I went to the mechanics house I couldn't get it to make the noise when the vehicle was on the lift. Incredibly frustrating. Mine seems to only do it when driven around for a bit. If it wasn't go to snow yet again in PA I'd remove the driveshaft but may need it. He said the noise didn't seem overly concerning yet so just monitor it and contact him if it gets much worse.

Was that price with you removing the t case? Of course when I went to the mechanics house I couldn't get it to make the noise when the vehicle was on the lift. Incredibly frustrating. Mine seems to only do it when driven around for a bit. If it wasn't go to snow yet again in PA I'd remove the driveshaft but may need it. He said the noise didn't seem overly concerning yet so just monitor it and contact him if it gets much worse.
So I brought it to the shop without the front driveshaft in the Jeep because it’s a pain to put back on. That was a mistake because it’s harder to get the sound without it on. They called me saying they couldn’t get the sound going. I went by and drove it in 4hi and could get it to sound off and dropped back by the shop on the same day. I drove with the main guy and he could hear it and asked for me to bring the driveshaft by.
I never removed the transfer case and just dropped the Jeep off but I had called before to make sure they worked on transfer cases.

I’m definitely not an expert at this kind of stuff but I had narrowed it down the the transfer case just by process of elimination.
It can be frustrating because I pulled the front driveshaft out of my Jeep and it all stopped and I thought I had figured it out being the front driveshaft but that didn’t last long.

I wonder if you just sprayed the front diff with a lot of wd40 it would go away just temporarily, maybe that would let you know which part was giving to problems

Just rebuild your driveshafts front and ear and consider it a routine maintenance procedure. The front is much more of a PITA due to the bearing in the middle of the CV plus there is a seal around that bearing that I found a little hard to find.

Reactions: MrBClark
So I brought it to the shop without the front driveshaft in the Jeep because it’s a pain to put back on. That was a mistake because it’s harder to get the sound without it on. They called me saying they couldn’t get the sound going. I went by and drove it in 4hi and could get it to sound off and dropped back by the shop on the same day. I drove with the main guy and he could hear it and asked for me to bring the driveshaft by.
I never removed the transfer case and just dropped the Jeep off but I had called before to make sure they worked on transfer cases.

I’m definitely not an expert at this kind of stuff but I had narrowed it down the the transfer case just by process of elimination.
It can be frustrating because I pulled the front driveshaft out of my Jeep and it all stopped and I thought I had figured it out being the front driveshaft but that didn’t last long.

I wonder if you just sprayed the front diff with a lot of wd40 it would go away just temporarily, maybe that would let you know which part was giving to problemsqt
At this point I'm just gonna keep driving it and listening. If it starts to consistently make it I will pull the front driveshaft... again. If it goes away after that, I will probably look into rebuilding the driveshaft. Then if that doesn't fix it I will probably lose my mind and keep trying to locate the issue. Hopefully not the front dif.

I wonder if you just sprayed the front diff with a lot of wd40 it would go away just temporarily, maybe that would let you know which part was giving to problems
I sprayed wd 40 by the pinion seal and it seemed to make it go away. Gonna have to keep trying it. If it comes back, I will spray it again as soon as I hear it and see if that quiets it again. What could be making noise in that area. The seal? Also it hasn't ever made it in reverse. Does that change anything?