Squealing tires in tight corners

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
Noticed lately after going with a 4" spring lift, I get quite a bit of squealing when I make a tight turn, like in parking lots. Doesn't seem to matter how fast I'm going, either.

Does it have to do with decreased caster angle based on the higher lift? Scrub radius? Maybe my toe is off?

Definitely could be caused by increased scrub radius. Do you have wheel spacers and/or wheels with only a small amount of backspacing?

Check your toe-in too since installing a suspension lift significantly increases the toe-in.

Definitely could be caused by increased scrub radius. Do you have wheel spacers and/or wheels with only a small amount of backspacing?

Check your toe-in too since installing a suspension lift significantly increases the toe-in.
I've experienced it with 4" of backspacing on 33s and with 3.75" BS with 35s. I'm going to start with toe, I think. I adjusted pinion angle when I lifted higher, but I don't think I remembered to do my toe in. I know my drag link needed to extend to recenter my steering wheel though!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Another thought; with a higher center of gravity you might be leaning more. Less weight on the tires might be allowing it to make more noise.

As others said, what's your tire pressure? Also, what tires are you using?

I used to have Toyo AT's on my F150 and they made a lot of noise around corners. My GY MTR don't make much noise.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I have experienced this with two sets of tires. My BFG KM2's never squeaked until I added lift. Now, I have Cooper discoverer SST, and they do the same.

Tire pressure is in the mid 20s

I have no lift and have experienced this with 2 sets of tires. And on other vehicles. I think it has alot to do with how you drive. I turn my wheel full right or left when i make tight turns like parking. My tires always squeal. Especially on nice pavement like in parking lots.

Reactions: Tob and 01CuHed
I have experienced this with two sets of tires. My BFG KM2's never squeaked until I added lift. Now, I have Cooper discoverer SST, and they do the same.

Tire pressure is in the mid 20s

I had the Cooper STT Pro for a few years, those were squealy iirc.

Just take the corners slower if you feel like you're slipping a bit. These Jeep aren't really made for street handling.

Sometimes I think different types of road surfaces can make a tire squeak on tight turns. I never hear my tires squeak except in one particular parking lot that was coated with some type of protective sealant? Sometimes also if I drive over painted areas of parking lots while turning tight my tire might chirp/squeak.

Reactions: Tob
It's the TJ's tight turning radius. Take your OCD meds and move on. ;)
p.s. Take any vehicle into an indoor parking garage at speed and plug your ears.
I had the Cooper STT Pro for a few years, those were squealy iirc.

Just take the corners slower if you feel like you're slipping a bit. These Jeep aren't really made for street handling.

I'm not sure why I'm getting the "its no big deal" response here. It didn't squeal before the extra lift. I haven't changed my driving style, and now it does. Simply looking for a couple things to check. I do not subscribe to school of thought that qualifies poor driving behavior with "its OK for a jeep" That is bullshit. It needs to be right.

Is this a big deal? No, of course not. Is it an indication that something has changed and I might want to look at it before I ruin a set of VERY expensive tires? Possibly.

Jeep tires squeal because of the tight turning radius. Same with any other car with a tight turning radius. At parking speed its not going to hurt your tires. Youve had several of us tell you weve experienced the same thing with no negative effects. You're alright.

Reactions: Tob
I'm not sure why I'm getting the "its no big deal" response here. It didn't squeal before the extra lift. I haven't changed my driving style, and now it does. Simply looking for a couple things to check. I do not subscribe to school of thought that qualifies poor driving behavior with "its OK for a jeep" That is bullshit. It needs to be right.

Is this a big deal? No, of course not. Is it an indication that something has changed and I might want to look at it before I ruin a set of VERY expensive tires? Possibly.

Only logical explanation I can think of is the taller springs are maybe offsetting the tension that would normally make your differentials differentiate.

Though I don't think a little squealing is going to ruin your expensive tires. Starting doing some drifting in circles like the dumb kids on the other hand...