Stair Stringers

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
I’m rehabbing one of my properties. I removed the death trap stairs and poured new concrete sloped to match the exiting drive way. I am adding a 4’x4’ landing with 42” wide stairs. My issue is that I have a left to right drop of 1.5” over 4’ and the same coming outward from the edge of the landing. The latter is not a problem but the left to right has me perplexed. What are my options to account for the drop? My first thought is to cut the 3 stringers the same and shim 2 of them. I do not know if my skills are up to the task of cutting each stringer to match the slope and still keep the stair treads level. Will starting my cuts from the top and leaving a little extra at the bottom to trim as need screw up the angle of the treads or stringer? I do not want to replace an unsafe stairs with another. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

5AA236E6-FD05-40A2-94C4-F83EFB8C4033.jpeg

8ADC9154-AEC9-4D28-86CD-4B0DB95F062C.jpeg

20+ year builder here who specializes in decks, so I've done stairs a few times. Code officials require no more than 3/8" difference in rise over the entire staircase measured at the center (21" in your situation) . Find your rise and set your framing square. After marking where they SHOULD be cut, like you said, leave a little extra so you can fine tune it. Put a line on your landing where the top of your stringers should be. I cut my bottom rise high, then set it up to the landing with a torpedo level on a tread. Measure from the top of your stringer to the line on your landing and cut that much off the bottom of your stringer. Easy peasy