Stalled after starting on hill, now clicks but no crank

Update!

First, I do drive a manual. Haven't stalled on a hill in a long time, but it happens lol.

The report from my mechanic is that he tested everything from the battery and starter up to the ignition cylinder. He was able to jump from the starter and got the jeep to turn over, so everything checked out. He told me he suspects it's something in the ignition cylinder or the ignition actuator pin is broken. Something like that. Which after thinking about what I did sort of makes sense. As soon as I stalled I panic clutched in and turned the key hard (since I was second in line of traffic). Maybe I broke something in there by doing that? 🤷‍♂️

Either way, I'm still pretty new to TJ's and probably wouldn't have been able to diagnose that myself quickly.

Sounded like a stick....and I was just messing with you, all good HA. Someone may have more experience, but if you quickly did that, it "shouldn't" break in my opinion. Means it was already a little suspect. Now you know. You're back to a stick though, wave that traffic by, throw it in reverse.....roll and pop that clutch , ha.

Others may have seen this, my Jeeps haven't done that yet, they may have a good lead on what it would be.

Reactions: GaTechTJ
Sounded like a stick....and I was just messing with you, all good HA. Someone may have more experience, but if you quickly did that, it "shouldn't" break in my opinion. Means it was already a little suspect. Now you know. You're back to a stick though, wave that traffic by, throw it in reverse.....roll and pop that clutch , ha.

Others may have seen this, my Jeeps haven't done that yet, they may have a good lead on what it would be.
Full honesty: I didn't know how to roll start until last night when I watched a bunch of videos on how to do it 😅 I've only been driving stick for about a year, so I guess I'm still pretty fresh when it comes to that as well lol. But yeah, now I know!

Tried jumping it, no dice. Not throwing a code with the 3 clicks, and nothing shows up on my code reader. I just drove it an hour ago, started up just fine. Not sure what the hell could have happen after just a stall
I suspect you drained the battery while attempting to start it. And a dead battery will suck the power out of a jump start battery too which will fool most people into then believing it's not a battery problem. Not to mention some jumper cables are incapable of delivering enough amperes to start a really dead battery. I bought a set of jumper cables advertised to be 2 gauge but their actual copper wiring was more like 12 gauge, not enough to work on a really dead battery trying to jump start a good size engine like our 4.0.

I would try disconnecting one of the battery connections so it can't pull power from the jump start battery and connecting a known good jump start battery to see what happens.

Realize that a battery that is too weak to start an engine can still measure 12 volts with a simple volt meter when there's no load on the battery. The only correct way to measure a battery is while it's under load as in when the ignition switch is in the Start position which in your case would be while the starter motor solenoid is clicking.

The best way to know a battery's true health is by having a battery shop conduct a "load test" on the battery which places a heavy load on the battery for no less than ten seconds while its voltage is checked.... similar but more accurate than what I'm suggesting in the preceding paragraph as a quick test.

FYI here is the jumper cable that was advertised as being 2 Gauge, you can see in reality it's more like 12 gauge. It wouldn't jump start a Jeep so I cut it open to see what was really inside. The moral of this story is that not all jumper cables are worth a shit or good enough to actually be useful as jumper cables.

Jumpers.jpg

CIMG4091.JPG

Reactions: GaTechTJ
After years of carrying a HD set of jumper cables and being dependent upon another vehicle a dealership mechanic friend advised me to look at the Antigravity Microstart XP10 battery which can jumpstart a diesel pickup. I researched this unit and purchased ($125) about 5-6 years ago. In that time I have jump started numerous cars and trucks. This little unit jump starts vehicles with ease....

Microstart

xp-10-micro-start-power-supply-pps.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Rich, Corinthian leather. I wonder where the got Corinthian cows. Corinth, Mississippi probably.
The Chrysler Corinthian leather was first manufactured in Newark, New Jersey probably from plain old US cows.:)

That is HYSTERICAL! I had a 1980 ...it did NOT have Fine Corinthian Leather. Cream that looked yellow....buddies called it the Banana Boat....and we had a good time!
it was never leather to my knowledge.............they were not allowed by law to call it leather since it was a man made material. so instead of imitation or faux leather it became Corinthian leather. IIRC it was almost like velour.

so a new ignition is the prognosis? hope that works it out for ya.