Started my first build

You are making great progress with that Jeep. I really have no experience with using “lining” for paint. But I guess if you are going to be doing heavy wheeling you won’t have to worry about scratches.

You are the type of person I wish I had for a BIL. You seem to have the abilities to do most everything car/Jeep related. While I can turn wrenches pretty good, I lack welding talent (understatement), and mostly lack patience. If I had all those talents and lots of time I’d rebuild Jeep’s for fun mostly (and to sell at a small profit for my time).

Can’t wait to see the finished product. Good job man!

Reactions: JMT
MDE8965, thank you 😊 for the compliments. Believe me I’m no expert but I try to do things right and I prefer to do them myself instead of hiring someone. The Jeep is really just a project for me so I can relax and not drive my GF crazy!!! Don’t ask how that’s going...! Also I got it for next to nothing $. So now I have to remember how it goes back together. 🤔 I can say that anyone doing a project like this, the most important thing is ziplock bags and a sharpie. It’s takes longer at first but it’s a life saver now.

9AB88888-A978-44CA-873A-114D1BFA6F0E.jpeg

Reactions: Mike_H
Your ipad or iPhone is your friend when it comes to reassembling things that you took apart months ago but you’ve got to remember to take the photos ‘before’ and when you tear it down. Then you’ve got something to compare to but lucky for us we’ve got the internet and the Tj forum to refer back to. Nice build. You’ll truly know your jeep inside and out.

Holy crap I got the body back on the frame last night. It was a real pain in the butt, had to get my GF to hold it straight while I lowered it down. This morning I’m fighting the body bolts and the weather. Right now the back four mounts seem to be gapped more then they should be while the center six are bolted down???

21A3F7E9-BF65-432B-AB34-DF88FC107C89.jpeg

2B05AC2B-46AF-4BD7-A842-277E6BE29CD8.jpeg

BACCA658-7A0F-42DF-B370-16D8DCD7737C.jpeg

8D81749D-A3EB-458F-9188-C332D2F58371.jpeg

Holy crap I got the body back on the frame last night. It was a real pain in the butt, had to get my GF to hold it straight while I lowered it down. This morning I’m fighting the body bolts and the weather. Right now the back four mounts seem to be gapped more then they should be while the center six are bolted down???

View attachment 98186

View attachment 98187

View attachment 98188

View attachment 98189
get the GF some coveralls and tell her how sexy she looks in them while helping with the Jeep and youll have a helper for ever...well until she gets bored.

• Haha
The paint job looks incredible. If I ever have a rig with screwed up paint I’m definitely doing raptor liner. Great work.

From the front, the bumper has a larger gap to the drivers side fender than the passenger side.

About the body mount bolts, can you get them all started, then alternate front, rear,side, side to get them hand tight, then the same for final torque?

I tried to get her to put them on or even better a bikini. She said she didn’t want to scare the neighbors🙀 Front and rear bumper are just loosely bolted and so is the body. Hopefully I can get them all straight and gapped better as I go. The liner definitely turned out for my first time using it. But there are some mistakes. I should have used grey primer over the whole body to cover the black paint. I can see some light spots when the sun comes out. I’m told you can do respray on it? Or leave good enough alone???

631DA4B6-2A9E-4AED-B764-92688A938ECA.jpeg

6C5AE923-05B9-4AB3-8F95-BB13D3BD9778.jpeg

1B8F84C2-1EB1-4665-945C-D07A0D421BC0.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DETOUR
Wow that “liner” paint job turned out a lot better than I would have expected. I would leave well enough alone there. Only thing I would have maybe done is masked off the “Jeep” emblems on the side and left them black.

What are you doing with the inside? Get a Bedrug and cover the seats with Bartact seat covers. Or are you going to raptor line that too. Im not a fan of bedlining the interior but it goes with your theme.

Question. How do you wash the outside of that Jeep now? A push broom? Serious question as that’s how I used to clean out the bed in my old GMC truck that was bedlined (in the bed).

MDE, I think your right and leave well enough alone. I do have seat covers and the carpet cleaned up pretty good. So I’m just gonna put a coat of paint on the floor pans and put it back together with the old carpet. Did get a nice flip out radio/ gps. I have a semi soft brush we use for washing the boat deck down. I think that will work great at cleaning it. Right now still working on aligning body and bumpers, that has become a job!

Reactions: mde8965 and JMT
Well body bolt are done and took way to long to get them figured out. The door gaps were pinching at the top front, but now they are better. Started getting all the stuff under the hood hooked back up and again some things take me a while. Wiring up new horns and all the other stuff. When you take every single thing out you have to remember how it all goes back on. Spent over a hour looking for bolts to the transmission shifter! I’m being optimistic and thinking one more week. Then I’m gonna take it to be regeared. My first thought is .456 gears and maybe just maybe a front locker??? Budget is shot to hell at this point.

• Haha
Took a break from the build, but now back on it. Got everything under the hood done and wired the new lights and horns. Added fluids and connected the battery. It turned over but wouldn’t start. As soon as I hit the key, I forgot that quickly there is no gas!!! 🥺. The gear shift boot and need a new shifter nob, should finish the inside. I have a few spots that I want to touch up paint wise that either I scraped if banged while working on it. Gonna make an appointment to get new gears after a road test. Also have to do something with tail pipe that I had to cut off??? Well let a shop do that since it’s much easier for them then me.

A245539E-B17C-4EB9-B995-488426F27E0E.jpeg

86BED4D5-ED77-4980-AD93-F406AB484CB4.jpeg

773ABB8B-2F18-4312-8C4D-5B564322E9AC.jpeg

5355DC80-DF4F-43FD-84CC-309B4B4C54E6.jpeg

Ok, I’m calling it done! At least till summer is over. If you notice the gear knob, yes I can hear my dad saying boy that looks like a pimpmobile. I put thirty miles on it driving around the neighborhood making sure everything was ok. So far all is good....... I did take it on the highway last night and got up to 55 and it felt good. Fingers crossed! The kid in me installed HELLA horns, they are badass!!! 😀.

21D8B9CE-5744-4CBA-95C9-CDB121116A7E.jpeg

447E400F-BDC4-4495-AB4D-73AF0442C572.jpeg

78A471B3-F0F5-44B2-9F9C-B3B1BD0FC4D2.jpeg

53BE5373-3CFE-41E2-9931-CCC3FF3FA2DF.jpeg

7631BF70-36D2-4769-8989-6F27C71A300C.jpeg

2BF9FF10-97E3-4C87-9CAF-E54D6F701315.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
Same Jeep. Sorry seems like I’m blowing my own horn. It’s just not to often you get the chance/time/money all to come together and do something for yourself and show a little pride in it. I do appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions while working on this, it was surely helpful and motivating.

FF162683-4EBE-41DA-AB13-22906426D26C.jpeg

B0CEBAB9-6544-435C-8C35-A38A92C75925.jpeg

Soft 8’s, looks nice, great work. What’s your engine, tranny and final tire size? Asking for gearing ratio.

Soft 8’s, looks nice, great work. What’s your engine, tranny and final tire size? Asking for gearing ratio.
4L engine, ax15. 5 speed. Tires are 34”x 11.5 with 17” rims. I’m taking it to a 4x4 shop for a set of G2 gears either 411 or 456? 1800$$ installed and a warranty! The rims were 415$. Not a bad price if they hold up.