Starter rengages when lights are turned on

Adrian.p

Think I might have few ideas were to start. The issue is when I start the Jeep it starts fine until I turn on the lights then the starter is getting constant power until the lights are turned off. But only it only seems happens when I have some where to be and I don’t have time to trouble shoot the problem. Quick fix was to unplug the wire coming from the control harness to the solenoid interrupting the circuit. I’ve considered maybe it’s the ignition switch under the steering column or a short some where in the wires. Does any one have reference point to start from thanks.

First time I've ever heard of this, but it seems it would have something to do with the ignition switch or ignition circuit for that matter.

You say you don't have time to troubleshoot it, so I would suggest taking it to a shop in that case.

If you find the time, you could always download a free FSM here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

They have all the wiring diagrams in them and you could use it to test things out.

Thanks for the link I’ll check it out. I meant say when I go to trouble shoot it with my meter every thing is working fine it seems to always happen when I’m on my way to work in the morning and when I get home to check it the starter is working fine. I’m pretty sure it’s a short to ground some where I just haven’t found it yet maybe in the ignition switch just weird that the lights one and off were making it short

Thanks for the link I’ll check it out. I meant say when I go to trouble shoot it with my meter every thing is working fine it seems to always happen when I’m on my way to work in the morning and when I get home to check it the starter is working fine. I’m pretty sure it’s a short to ground some where I just haven’t found it yet maybe in the ignition switch just weird that the lights one and off were making it short

Sounds like murphy is messing with your electronics [emoji13] - Check the wiring in the steering column area - might be a common point where the bundles are tied together - maybe someone spliced something in to the wrong line at some stage or a wire has rubbed through... Otherwise, Not sure if the headlight relay is in close proximity to the low-current ignition “start switching relay” (not sure if there is one in the jeep: presumably there is one between the battery and the main starter relay controlled by the ignition switch - could be a direct feed from a fuse tho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk