Starter replacement (bolt won't tighten)

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Replacing my 05 Manual Starter today. Everything went smooth until I tried to tighten the rear bolt. I cannot get it to catch to tighten. I took it back off and threaded it without a problem. Am I missing something or do I need to replace the bolt?

Sounds like the ear on the replacement starter that the bolt goes through might be thicker and isn’t allowing the bolt to catch any threads..

I had the reverse problem on a car where the ear was thinner than the oem starter and it wouldn’t allow the bolt to tighten. I had to add washers to get it tight.

Last edited:
So therefore source a longer bolt...or most certainly compare your original to the replacement... assuming you still have it.

-Mac

Have you compared the centerline and outer distances between the holes to ensure the bolt holes are the same distance as the starter you are replacing ? The holes on the starter mount and the holes where the starter is attached may not be exact.
IF this part is a cheap Chinese knock off... the Quality Assurance of the part may by questionable.

Check battery terminals and cable clamps for oxidation, verify 12.5V at battery terminals and ensure there is voltage to the starter solenoid when ignition switched to the ON position.