Startup clunk

Bird Dog

TJ Enthusiast
Lately I have heard a clunking sound when staring my 01 TJ. It does not appear while normal driving. It sounds like it is coming from the left side front but sometimes sounds like it comes from the rear. I recently changed all the driveshaft ujoints and they seem tight. I checked the motor mounts and they look sound. I did notice that the rear exhaust pipe exit is a bit close to the trailer hitch frame but I could have bumped it offroad somehow. I did check the mounts and the exhaust mounts and they look ok. Anybody else had similar issues?

A ujoint isn't moving when you start it up. It has to be either in the engine or starter/flywheel. Or a busted moter or trans mount.

I’d definitely try and get a look at the transmission mount but u are going to have to support the transmission and drop the skid plate to see if it’s bad or not. Either way I picked one up at autozone pretty cheap when I needed one a while back and it’s not hard to change

Those cheap mounts are a hard pollyurathne. They will often allow a vibe to come through. I bought one to check on my original mount too. A just in case type of thing. The original was spent so I threw in the cheap polly mount. Got a vibe (as expected) but safer than leaving the old one in. So ordered a good rubber mount. That way I keep the Jeep driving. After new rubber mount came I switched the polly out for the rubber and keep the polly as an emergency spare.