Steel sub-woofer enclosure

Seems like a cool idea. I doubt that thick of metal will ring. That's a nice amp, I have one in my Magnum, and it's cheap. I run it at 1 ohm and it's never over heated or shut down. After that sub, you'll probably want to add an amplifier to the main speakers.

(20) 4mm tapped holes later:
1580734016207.png

1580734058946.png

We put it in the jeep for a sound check and adjustment. Too many adjustments, but after messing with it for 10 minutes through a variety of songs, we got it sounding pretty amazing. Good enough to warrant taking it apart and painting the enclosure.

(20) 4mm tapped holes later:
View attachment 138164
View attachment 138165

We put it in the jeep for a sound check and adjustment. Too many adjustments, but after messing with it for 10 minutes through a variety of songs, we got it sounding pretty amazing. Good enough to warrant taking it apart and painting the enclosure.

This is awesome...great looking piece.

What were some of the issues that required the adjustments, rattles and stuff?

This is awesome...great looking piece.

What were some of the issues that required the adjustments, rattles and stuff?
Yes, really tough to tell what is happening, because it is loud when it does. My son says that it gets warbly sounding. Not sure that is a word, but probably distortion. we can turn it down to the point that it sounds good for most songs at high volumes, difference is night and day with and without it... probably not a perfect design acoustically, but it is a nice compact box. I also did not have any sound material in it as it hasn't come yet. So that should help as well.

Reactions: skrelnik
Yes, really tough to tell what is happening, because it is loud when it does. My son says that it gets warbly sounding. Not sure that is a word, but probably distortion.

You've probably reached the limits of the amp and it's clipping.

Also, is it possible the enclosure is air tight? If so you need to drill a small hole somewhere to equalize pressure. "Sealed" subs aren't 100% sealed, they either rely on the seams not being air tight or they have a pinhole somewhere.

Reactions: Ephry73
You've probably reached the limits of the amp and it's clipping.

Also, is it possible the enclosure is air tight? If so you need to drill a small hole somewhere to equalize pressure. "Sealed" subs aren't 100% sealed, they either rely on the seams not being air tight or they have a pinhole somewhere.
Are you positive about that? Never heard of intentionally venting a sealed enclosure.

Are you positive about that? Never heard of intentionally venting a sealed enclosure.

100% sure. I've built many subs for home audio.

First sealed subs I made was large and overbuilt. After playing for a few minutes it would get all muddy. With a legit air tight sealed box heat, and therefore pressure, builds up quickly changing the T/S parameters of the driver and turning it into a distortion machine.

The more you put into building a very rigid, no way is it flexing any which way, box the more likely it is to be air tight. Which is why the higher end sub makers will put a pinhole in their subs to prevent pressure buildup.

I doubt any sealed subwoofer is 100% air tight even if you try to make it so.

Nobody tries, but it happens. If his welds are good enough....

In my case 1.5" MDF, screwed and excessively glued joints, damping material covering the entire inside also glued at every seam, and yeah, gets the job done.