Steel wheels

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
I have a stock 2000 tj with factory aluminum wheels which are like new. Is there a chart which shows 15" steel wheels from other manufacturers that will fit. I want to use them in the winter with other tires and not ruin the stock aluminum ones.

any 15x7.5 or 15x8 with the same backspace or less. i think stock was/is 4.5" but i'm not positive, someone will correct me if it's wrong (5.25-5.5 pagrey fixed it below). less backspace will put the wheel out further. lug pattern of 5 on 4.5".

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey
Any aftermarket ones will all "fit" as long as the bolt pattern is correct (and hub bore is big enough). They might stick out too far and look dumb and screw up your steering and handling.

In your scenario I think the best bet is to just find some cheap stock aluminum rims for the winter. Can find them all day long for $100 or less for a set which is cheaper than aftermarket steel rims, unless you are going for the black steelie look.

Either way - I love your idea of keeping the good stock wheels nice.

Almost all aftermarket wheels will stick out. Stock TJ wheels have 5.5" of backspacing. I'd look for some stock TJ wheels for your winter setup like @Vtx531 suggested or your might end up throwing snow and sand/salt all over your Jeep. Stock wheels, especially steel wheels are normally very cheap used.

The Moab Rubicon wheels are 5.0", 15x8 alloys are 5.5", 15x7 alloys and steels are 5.25".

I still believe offset is a better measure and that's what is cast into the back of the wheels too.

Reactions: pagrey
I still believe offset is a better measure and that's what is cast into the back of the wheels too.
Offset is a more useful measurement for car wheels, backspacing is a more useful measurement for Jeep and truck wheels. That's why we're always discussing backspacing in Jeep forums and not offset.

And if I lived where the roads are salted during the winter the last wheel type I'd choose for those conditions is steel.

To each their own but If I'm driving a TJ daily in the winter the aluminum rims are the last thing I would worry about. Those stock rims will outlast the rest of the jeep.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford