Steering clunks / looseness / dead zone

Sensei

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, having some poor drivability symptoms specifically related to my steering. Everything feels relatively solid on straight roads, and the jeep drives straight. However, on roads with alot of divots or bumps things become more iffy. Basically, it almost feels like my steering is "flopping over" or changing directions just ever so slightly. Sometimes my jeep will track completely straight with the wheel straight, but when I hit these uneven roads, the steering wheel almost seems like it loosens up and wants to flop around ever so slightly to the left or right. Sometimes after this happens, I'll need to give additional input to the steering wheel, to get the wheels straight again. Otherwise they still feel "flopped over" and almost tracking in a different direction.

I have the zj tie rod installed, but I also have device installed called "The Cure". Basically a delrin grommet that the tie rod can rest on when attached to the drag link. My steering issues were slightly worse before installing this, although it really hasn't "cured" them as the name implies it would.

I have attached a video of the clunking noise I reference in the title of this thread, which can be heard clearly starting at approx 0:28. It can be heard when I rapidly move the steering wheel back and forth. Although I don't hear this clunking while driving normally, I feel like any "looseness" (ie clunking) in the steering probably isn't a good thing.

Can you post pictures of the whole front axle, and then each end of the track bar and steering? What you're describing is something similar to what I remember when my trackbar was loose at the frame, but that's not the only likely cause. In any case I'd poke around at some bolts to see if any are obviously loose.

How’s your steering gearbox? I had to replace mine and the pump when I had a dead spot in my steering. Pump was shot and I guess it ended up fucking up the gearbox as well

Can you post pictures of the whole front axle, and then each end of the track bar and steering? What you're describing is something similar to what I remember when my trackbar was loose at the frame, but that's not the only likely cause. In any case I'd poke around at some bolts to see if any are obviously loose.

Best I've got on hand until tomorrow. Thanks for your response.
IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

Reactions: rasband
I finally zoomed in on your video and discovered the problem, someone stupidly installed a dropped Pitman arm. Your driver's side track bar mount is at stock height, it's not dropped. The Pitman arm and driver's side track bar mount must match... both must be dropped or both must be not dropped.

Replace your Pitman arm with the OE factory Pitman arm which will cure that bump steer issue you're having.

Pitman arms.jpg

Reactions: Sensei
That frame-side trackbar mount looks a little sketchy, no???????

Top washer is too big for the recess in the mount.

Also, this may or may not be contributing to the OP's stated problem but I among many others have also had poor service from a trackbar with a heim joint in that location. They tend to start creaking and/or develop play that can cause symptoms like you describe.

Another thing that can cause a wandering effect is insufficient castor.

I also agree with @Jerry Bransford if that is a dropped pitman.

Reactions: Sensei
I finally zoomed in on your video and discovered the problem, someone stupidly installed a dropped Pitman arm. Your driver's side track bar mount is at stock height, it's not dropped. The Pitman arm and driver's side track bar mount must match... both must be dropped or both must be not dropped.

Replace your Pitman arm with the OE factory Pitman arm which will cure that bump steer issue you're having.

View attachment 362950

Wow is that why the drag link end/stud doesnt seem straight coming into the pitman arm? I always wondered why it looked rolled forward almost. But never realized I had a dropped arm. I had the original lift installed in 2015 when I was a highschooler by some 3rd party, this must be one of the last parts that remains from it. Since then, i've literally replaced everything else. Both axles, springs, shocks, trackbars, control arms, etc. Anyone got a part number or amazon listing I can buy one from?

That frame-side trackbar mount looks a little sketchy, no???????

Top washer is too big for the recess in the mount.

Also, this may or may not be contributing to the OP's stated problem but I among many others have also had poor service from a trackbar with a heim joint in that location. They tend to start creaking and/or develop play that can cause symptoms like you describe.

Another thing that can cause a wandering effect is insufficient castor.

I also agree with @Jerry Bransford if that is a dropped pitman.

Yeah I agree that the way the washer mushrooming is a little odd. The trackbar did not come with instructions unfortunately. Looks like this guy didn't know how to install it for sure either, and put his washer in between the top tapered washer and the frame mount itself. I have this same trackbar though.

trackbar.png

Wow is that why the drag link end/stud doesnt seem straight coming into the pitman arm?

No. That is a simple matter of loosening the clamps and getting the ends into a neutral position. Whoever worked on you front end should be kept far away from such things.