Steering Gear Box Replacement

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Leaking steering gear box 98 Sport. I have no clue as to brand needed or anything else that is needed for replacement. It's leaked or more seeping for a while. Looking ahead to add to list. Thanks

Avoid the Cardone brand of rebuilt steering boxes. Many go with a Dodge Durango steering box which is heavier duty and bolts right in. @mrblaine provided my last rebuilt steering box for a trailside repair but that was years ago and I don't know what brand it was. Whatever brand it was it worked well.

Reactions: Chris
I did the Durango box swap from a junkyard. It started leaking after about a year so I did some research and discovered Red Head Steering. Shipped it to them, in Washington state if I remember correctly. They rebuilt it and got it back to me within a few days at a reasonable price. Been good so far, about a year. They have some in stock too, so they can ship you one. There is a core charge if you go that route.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks guys. I see PSC on Quadratec
PSC Motorsports PSC-SG061N Motorsports Big Bore Steering Gear for 87-02 Jeep® Wrangler YJ and TJ & Cherokee XJ
and says it fits my TJ but still unsure.