Steering Geometry Questions

Ders816

Quick question for everyone.....04 Wrangler X Columbia edition.....going through and correcting everything PO didn't address......I'm having a bump steer issue. Now, it does NOT have a drop pitman arm, BUT it does have a track bar relocation bracket. My steering link and track bar are not parallel as it sits now.

My question is, would this drop down bracket produce the same effect as a drop pitman arm? I'm thinking to fix just take the bracket off and go with a new adjustable track bar to factory mounting location. Just wanna check that my logic is sound with others who know more than I do lol thanks in advance!

Yes installing a dropped track bar mounting bracket has the same effect on steering as installing a dropped Pitman arm does. They must match... both must either be dropped or neither can be dropped.

Which side of the track bar is dropped, driver or passenger side? And can you post a good sharp well-lit (use a flash) photo of the side that is dropped?

Reactions: Ders816
Yes installing a dropped track bar mounting bracket has the same effect on steering as installing a dropped Pitman arm does. They must match... both must either be dropped or neither can be dropped.

Which side of the track bar is dropped, driver or passenger side? And can you post a good sharp well-lit (use a flash) photo of the side that is dropped?
The frame side bracket is what seems to be dropped. It's clearly an aftermarket bar with a forged end on one side and is adjustable. It seems to be a solid unit in good shape. Would I be better off going the cheaper route with a drop pitman arm? Pics attached......and yes I know I have a small leak 🤣 PO never addressed it, one of the MANY things I'm sorting out.

20210301_151055.jpg

20210301_151144.jpg

20210301_151156.jpg

20210301_151055.jpg

20210301_151104.jpg

Gotcha, thanks for the photos. The track bar bracket isn't dropped by much, as much as I expected or was hoping to see which would be an easy fix.

Exactly what is happening when you get the symptom you're describing as bump steer? When does it occur? When you roll over a big bump or dip? On smooth highways?

Gotcha, thanks for the photos. The track bar bracket isn't dropped by much, as much as I expected or was hoping to see which would be an easy fix.

Exactly what is happening when you get the symptom you're describing as bump steer? When does it occur? When you roll over a big bump or dip? On smooth highhways?
So the best way I can describe is that it has some wander/drift to it. But also when I go over small bumps I get feedback, but on a smooth highway above 45 mph it seems to want to wander on its own. Unfortunately the entire front end is so tired that I think there are a myriad of things that can be causing it. I can see some cracked control arm bushings, and I have a suspicion that one or more ball joints are bad.
I appreciate the input, kind of the reason I posted because as you stated, it wasn't glaringly obvious that an inch or so of drop that bracket has would be obvious to someone who knows more than I do. I'm pulling the TJ into the garage to replace all ball joints, control arms, steering assembly, and wheel hub bearings. Maybe one or all of those will alleviate my problems. Thinking I'll hold off messing with the track bar until after I accomplish all of the above.