Steering play

mjtjnj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all,
Replaced the entire suspension on my 2000 Sport over the past couple of years. Did ball joints, control arms, springs, all steering components, including putting a new steering gear on. The Jeep goes straight down the road, but there is still a couple degrees of left/right play. The Jeep did have 35's on it when I bought it (31s now), and I'm guessing the steering shaft U joints could be worn out. Had the front end of the shaft off when I replaced the gear, has anyone gotten any bang for the buck on replacing underhood portion of the shaft? Thank you!
--Tom

Hey all,
Replaced the entire suspension on my 2000 Sport over the past couple of years. Did ball joints, control arms, springs, all steering components, including putting a new steering gear on. The Jeep goes straight down the road, but there is still a couple degrees of left/right play. The Jeep did have 35's on it when I bought it (31s now), and I'm guessing the steering shaft U joints could be worn out. Had the front end of the shaft off when I replaced the gear, has anyone gotten any bang for the buck on replacing underhood portion of the shaft? Thank you!
--Tom

Alignment?

Did you replace the worn out steering gear with a rebuilt worn out steering gear?

35’s might have worn the gear box prematurely if not kept balanced-

Dry steering test and not only are the u joints important, the shaft bearing really matters.

Keep us posted, be relentless,

Andy

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Thanks, guys. The box I bought was new, I did have it aligned, after reading some similar posts on this, going to do the dry steering test. FUN!

Thanks--

Tom

Reactions: AndyG
Haven't gotten the help to do the dry steering test yet, but this Jeep had 35s on it for years before I got it. Still has a 3-4" body lift. Been looking at the 2 steering shafts, and the job doesn't seem too bad. Would probably get a taller bracket since I'm body lifted, too. My frame is actually a 2003-2006, so I have the Mercedes steering setup. The lower shaft is really expensive, is the upper shaft the same on all TJ's?
I read somewhere that you could buy the earlier TJ lower shaft, knock the pin out of the U joint before the steering gear, and replace the part that slips onto the gear. Could save quite a few bucks. Opinions? Thanks ! --Tom