Steering replacement parts kit?

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m looking to get a kit or at least all the parts to redo and replace pretty much everything to do with my Jeep steering. Every part beside the track bar is stock and every ball joint that I have disconnected for some work has been totally shot. I’m hoping this will get rid of a lot of my vibrations and slight wobbles. Does anyone know a good kit I could buy for these parts or if not what are the parts i will need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m looking to get a kit or at least all the parts to redo and replace pretty much everything to do with my Jeep steering. Every part beside the track bar is stock and every ball joint that I have disconnected for some work has been totally shot. I’m hoping this will get rid of a lot of my vibrations and slight wobbles. Does anyone know a good kit I could buy for these parts or if not what are the parts i will need?
What size tires? Your profile is 100% devoid of any information about your Jeep like tire size, transmission type, engine size, etc. which means we have to ask for info before answers/recommendations can be given. :)

What size tires? Your profile is 100% devoid of any information about your Jeep like tire size, transmission type, engine size, etc. which means we have to ask for info before answers/recommendations can be given. :)

Sorry, I’ve got 31’s but planning on 33’s in the future and it’s a 98 Sahara with a 4.0

Well, you might as well upgrade the steering. The “y” style is junk. A crossover, or “T” style is superior.

Well, you might as well upgrade the steering. The “y” style is junk. A crossover, or “T” style is superior.
Quite the opposite where a TJ is concerned, absolutely. The TJ's inverted-Y steering system is widely known for being able to handle even above average height suspension lifts without causing problems like bump steer. The YJ's steering system was completely redesigned for the '97 TJ and it has been an extremely well respected design. Even Currie designed their highly regarded and extremely popular Currectlync HD steering kit to keep the inverted-Y geometry in place.

This is my usual recommendation for a steering system but it would be overkill for the OP's needs. https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9701 For him a tie rod from a V8 ZJ Grand Cherokee would be a good choice. Chris has posted a list of parts needed for that here on the forum at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/zj-tie-rod-conversion.2373/

The only thing crossover/t-style steering systems are known for on the TJ is causing a dead spot in the TJ's steering and bump steer. No exaggeration.

Last edited:
I didn’t know!!!! lol. It’s pretty much law on my truck. But my tuck is designed to tow, not wheel. Guess there’s different engineering going on. I stand corrected!! And I learned something lol.

Little story about my 05 Dodge 3500 and their piece of shit steering recall. I've enjoyed driving the truck since new, clean, precise steering, easy and comfy to drive while empty or fully loaded down with 15,000 lbs of shit. Get the steering recall notice, go have it done so I don't die and once I got home I called to get my old parts back. Nope, tried to find new old stock, none to be had. Those assholes converted my steering from the TJ's inverted Y arrangement to Inverted T. Now it is vague on center, requires constant small corrections to stay straight and generally sucks donkey balls. You can have your inverted T bullshit even in stock form designed for towing.

Little story about my 05 Dodge 3500 and their piece of shit steering recall. I've enjoyed driving the truck since new, clean, precise steering, easy and comfy to drive while empty or fully loaded down with 15,000 lbs of shit. Get the steering recall notice, go have it done so I don't die and once I got home I called to get my old parts back. Nope, tried to find new old stock, none to be had. Those assholes converted my steering from the TJ's inverted Y arrangement to Inverted T. Now it is vague on center, requires constant small corrections to stay straight and generally sucks donkey balls. You can have your inverted T bullshit even in stock form designed for towing.

No shit. I couldn’t be happier having done the 98-99HD upgrade to my ‘97 2500 CTD. I could go for a gear box stabilizer, but I have no vibrations and very little steering wheel wander. No matter what I pull. Compared to what most complain about anyway.

[/QUOTE
Sounds like my buddy's 99 F-250, I hate driving that piece of shit, my 79 powerwagon on 37" biased buckshot wide mudders handled better...

Wow, thank you for that. I've got the same truck, and have been sitting on the recall notice. But it drives great. I guess I'll let the new owner do the recall!