Steering seems very loose on 2000 TJ 2.5

Derekstockton

When driving it seems that the steering is very 'squirrelly' or loose is best way I think thing about describing it. I had thought it was the tires so they have been replaced (the ones that was on It was fairly worn/ at end of life), the stock sway bar link on one side was also busted so also replaced those with jks disconnects. I believe it did improve some but it's not great quiet there...

I honestly feel like it is unsafe after about 50-55 mph(no hills or anything) - is this normal or is there possibly something else I should check for to get things more stable?

I know the 2.5l with 6 speed will be slower but there are times when I may need to take it on the highway for brief periods on a trip to Knoxville or on my commute.

Thanks

There are so many variables its hard to say over a forum. All the basic parts need to be inspected if your not comfortable doing so. ball joints, tie rods, track bar bushings,alignment is a biggie,worn shocks,a damaged steering box, the list goes on for factory items. Then its what mods does it have? Lifted, big tires...all that plays into handling. Far as getting on the freeway you should have no problems unless its self inflicted like big tires and the wrong gearing or its just plain not running right. Their not autobahn burners remember.

245 75 17s (take offs from a newer jeep) and they measure at 40 psi, the jeep isn't lifted, I did replace the shocks and steering stabilizer when doing to jks disconnects. Again it did improve some with the tire change, etc and everything feels solid until approaching 50 mph then I feel like I need to downshift and remain in 4th lol. (I mistakenly said 6 speed in my first post of course it's a 5 speed manual).

I can try to lower the psi some to see if that effects/helps it. I can also see about other components.

I have 32's on my Jeep and I run 28psi. You are way too high on tire pressure.
If this is your first Jeep also understand its a short wheel base and high center of gravity, so it rides so much different than your average sedan.
But for sure drop that air pressure.

Watch out for tire shops. Some of them will overfill your tires, even if they ask you if you want them to check your pressure and you say no. It's irritating that so many tire shops know so little about tire pressure. But I suppose they hire walk-ins by counting arms and legs, and if they have two of each, give or take a couple, they're hired.

Reactions: Hopper
You’re not really describing anything other than saying it’s unsafe.

Do you find yourself having to keep the steering wheel loaded left/right to maintain a straight line?

If your toe is out of whack (toe out) specifically you will be darting all over.

If your steering box is loose you will have to fight the tires wanting to go into dips before it engages the steering gear.

You’re not really describing anything other than saying it’s unsafe.

Do you find yourself having to keep the steering wheel loaded left/right to maintain a straight line?

If your toe is out of whack (toe out) specifically you will be darting all over.

If your steering box is loose you will have to fight the tires wanting to go into dips before it engages the steering gear.
I described it the best I could I am new to jeeps, however lowering the psi to 28 fixed my issue. Thank you.