Steering shaft replacement

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Need to replace my steering shafts. I have play in the u joints and it is rusted to he'll and back.
Question 1. is I have a 1" body lift. Should I replace the bracket with a raised bracket or an original.
Question 2. I have the Crown upper and lower in my Amazon cart for $300. I know not alot of love for crown here but has anyone had a bad experience with their shafts?

Question 1. is I have a 1" body lift. Should I replace the bracket with a raised bracket or an original.
I've had a 1" BL for over 10 yrs, and the PO had a 2" BL, with no bracket.
So, not necessary.
However, I just recently added a raised bracket and it does seem to handle better.
Maybe a placebo effect.
YRMV

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopper
I've had a 1" BL for over 10 yrs, and the PO had a 2" BL, with no bracket.
So, not necessary.
However, I just recently added a raised bracket and it does seem to handle better.
Maybe a placebo effect.
YRMV

I found my shaft was rubbing where it came out of the firewall with my 1 1/4” body lift. I took my bracket off and welded a piece of 1” flat bar in the middle.

Might be doing a BL soon...which bracket did you order?

-Mac

V8 GOD Wrangler TJ Body Lifts 1in Steering Shaft Riser Bracket Compatible with Jeep Wrangler 97-06 TJ with 1" Body Lift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SLNLZD4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I bought 1 of those on 12/20 and attempted to install it on my 97 w/4 cyl and it wouldn’t work… I have a 1.25“ body lift and the bracket raised the upper steering shaft into the bottom of the intake manifold… The only way I could see it working was if I had a 1” motor mount lift, which I don’t… its Just another part for the jeep that I thought I needed that I don’t….

Reactions: Hopper
I bought 1 of those on 12/20 and attempted to install it on my 97 w/4 cyl and it wouldn’t work… I have a 1.25“ body lift and the bracket raised the upper steering shaft into the bottom of the intake manifold… The only way I could see it working was if I had a 1” motor mount lift, which I don’t… its Just another part for the jeep that I thought I needed that I don’t….

Thanks. Glad it was only $16 if it doesn't work. Going to order a standard one as well just in case, my original is pretty rusted up.
Wonder how lifting the motor would effect it? I did get some brown dog 1" motor mounts but never used them, just shaved and adjusted the shroud.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ