Steering shimmy / wobble issue (does this look wrong?)

Aloha Joe

TJ Enthusiast
2005 Rubicon, all stock.

Seemingly out of nowhere I got a wobble in the front end. It seems to happen mostly after a bump where the from end shimmies for a bit. It just happened so I need to investigate more, but it seems like the front end is now mushy.

I noticed I can turn the wheel a bit without moving the wheels (while stopped.) I don’t remember being able to do this before, but maybe I just didn’t notice. Link to video of this below.

Fwiw I can’t move the wheels by hand with the Jeep parked. I don’t see any blown out ball joints. When turning the steering wheel parked with the wheels not moving/turning it feels more like hydraulic slip than mechanical slip. There is the slightest “click” but mostly hydraulic mushiness. Shocks are pretty new, as is the steering damper.

I’m going out for a drive and will report back. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Most bump activated shimmy is due to worn track bar bushings or a loose track bar , but can be other components.

Have a friend rock the wheel from 10-2 and watch every joint up front as you change direction for play.

keep us posted.

Reactions: Aloha Joe
Most bump activated shimmy is due to worn track bar bushings or a loose track bar , but can be other components.

Have a friend rock the wheel from 10-2 and watch every joint up front as you change direction for play.

keep us posted.
I replaced my track bar last year to resolve a death wobbles issue I was having. This resolved the issue for a period of time, about one year. Death wobble returned. This time I replaced all of the Tie Rods, the drag link and the steering stabilizer. That was about six months ago. No wobble as of yet.

Reactions: Aloha Joe
What I see is some play in the ball joint at the end of the pitman arm. Everything else looks tight. The steering shaft does turn a lot relative to the pitman arm. I hope it’s a normal amount.

some videos:

I replaced my track bar last year to resolve a death wobbles issue I was having. This resolved the issue for a period of time, about one year. Death wobble returned. This time I replaced all of the Tie Rods, the drag link and the steering stabilizer. That was about six months ago. No wobble as of yet.
It can be one one loose component, or several slightly worn acting cumulatively.

They system can handle a little bit, but not much , then you have issues.

Most older TJs have had a few parts replaced , so you have components in various stages of wear.

Basically death wobble is either caused by an imbalanced wheel or allowed by worn components , or a little of both...either way it's auto gyration taking over the vehicles ability to track.