Steering stabilizer installation recommendations

mcarthey

Hey all... just installing the Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer. The tapered bolt popped out no problems at all using my puller, but the depth on it is too shallow to use it in reverse to press it back in.
Does anyone have any recommendations for installation? I was thinking of trying a large woodworking “C” clamp. Thoughts?

Both steering stabilizer nuts (tie rod taper stud/nut and frame end nut/bolt) should be torqued to 55 ft/lbs.
It was listed as 35ft/lbs on the specification sheet sent with the product, but that doesn't really answer the question, thanks.

1617576237190.png

1617576350060.png

The tapered section (mounting pin) does not fully push through the hole in the drag link, therefore it does not end up sitting flush against the nut between the washer and mounting pin as in the second photo.

Yes, exactly.
The tapered stud in the Rancho kit is usually a no problem component. Can you post a sharp well-lit (use the flash) photo of the problem? The threads on it are plenty strong for pulling it into place if everything has been assembled properly.

Edit just saw the photos. The stud and tapered hole it fits into is a firm tight fit. Seat the stud in as far as possible then draw it fully in the rest of the way using a big wrench. It'll be fine.

The tapered stud in the Rancho kit is usually a no problem component. Can you post a sharp well-lit (use the flash) photo of the problem? The threads on it are plenty strong for pulling it into place if everything has been assembled properly.

Edit just saw the photos. The stud and tapered hole it fits into is a firm tight fit. Seat the stud in as far as possible then draw it fully in the rest of the way using a big wrench. It'll be fine.
I did just try to wrench the nut down to pull it tight against the arm and ended up stripping it out as I was afraid. I'll replace the piece but next time I'll try to compress it in some way. The attached photo shows how far it went before stripping the threads.

Fortunately it's not going to pull out with the castle nut and cotter pin, but I'll have to get it swapped out shortly.

IMG_1454.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I did just try to wrench the nut down to pull it tight against the arm and ended up stripping it out as I was afraid. I'll replace the piece but next time I'll try to compress it in some way. The attached photo shows how far it went before stripping the threads.

Fortunately it's not going to pull out with the castle nut and cotter pin, but I'll have to get it swapped out shortly.

View attachment 240827

If you look at the taper on that stud and the way the hole is in the tie rod; your stud is fully seated.
The Rancho instruction sheet says to torque to 35 ft/lbs IAW what was posted earlier; you should be good.

If you look at the taper on that stud and the way the hole is in the tie rod; your stud is fully seated.
The Rancho instruction sheet says to torque to 35 ft/lbs IAW what was posted earlier; you should be good.

well my rancho res5000 steering damper tapered stud stripped out before I had enough room to get the cotter pin in… now I’ve got to find a new stud!… 🤬 .. any ideas?

Last edited:
I'd go on Rancho's Facebook page and send a direct message to them and just say you need a replacement tapered stud for your RS5407 steering stabilizer. If it's Matt he should be able to get you a replacement pretty quickly. They seem to be pretty responsive on their FB page.