Steering Stablizer Story

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
2 Years ago when I bought my 2005 LJ it had real Old Man Emu shocks with decals and a yellow steering stabilizer that I just assumed was an OME, no sticker. Last week I was muckinng around the underside of my rig and I noticed the stabilzer was brown and the boot was blue. Humm..the shocks are still yellow. I really didnt like the color so I ordered a Rough Country to replace it with. Well Friday I decided to swap them out. Removed the original and started to install the new one but the new tapered bolt would not go through the hole
Boy was I upset.

Why the F would it not go through.

Then my wife says "why is the old bolt straight and the new one tapered?" The time stopped at that moment, Good question!

Got out my trusty Bell and Howell Military "Approved" flashlight that can be run ove by a Duce and a half and shine 40 miles. Luckly I didn't freese it.

Looked through the hole and damn if there wasn't a shim stuck in the hole. It was a straight shim about half the depth of the tapered hole. Put the straight bolt through it and there was play in the whole thing.
Punched it out with a socket and took a whole 5 minutes to install the new one with a impact.

Took the boot off of the old stabilizer and it was painted white.

Wonder what idiot did that. You think the Ford dealer I bought it from did it? Somebody had to take the time to paint it and sombody took the time to shim it to fit.
Eaiser to just buy a new one.