Steering Wheel Off Center

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I went wheelin yesterday, and afterwards I noticed my steering wheel was off center. I checked the collar on the drag link when I got home, and it was tight, so I adjusted it to correct, but what could cause that? I have a steering box skid and I didn’t hit anything related to the steering that I’m aware of.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I'm trying to think man...I've done front end work that I thought wouldn't affect wheel center and it did...my new track bar did a little recently on one I think...if I remember correctly.

Make sure it's not In bind or loose maybe...and nothing is bent up front.

That s a head scratcher

Reactions: JMT
Bent axle parts can (unlikely) also throw it off. Unless you've been airborn recently. But likley something in the steering linkage has bent. Tierod is most likley.

Bent axle parts can (unlikely) also throw it off. Unless you've been airborn recently. But likley something in the steering linkage has bent. Tierod is most likley.
Tie rod is easiest to see. What is harder is the trackbar bend that goes around the diff being more or less bent. Same for the draglink where the tie rod attaches. Most common for us is that bend being flattened out a bit moving the steering wheel off center.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Recently, my son hit something in my WJ (which has a solid front axle). Drives okay, but now my steering wheel is off.
If it's not enough to notice what's bent, is it okay to just recenter and not worry about it?

Recently, my son hit something in my WJ (which has a solid front axle). Drives okay, but now my steering wheel is off.
If it's not enough to notice what's bent, is it okay to just recenter and not worry about it?
You need to see what's bent and how bad it is. A major bend on your tie-rod, drag link, or track bar could cause a sudden serious steering issue. A bend weakens it and makes it easier for it to bend more which could be dangerous.

You can do a quick toe in check to see if the tie rod or drag link are the culprit.

After I got the lockers in my steering wheel was off center every time I left hidden falls. I ended up buying the Currie steering linkage. I haven’t had a problem since. I looked at the stock linkage multiple times. Still can’t tell what was bent

Reactions: Tldelaney
About 8 months back I was involved in a minor accident and my front stock bumper saved my 2001 Sport from receiving any body damage...not even a scratch. The only difference I noticed after the accident was my steering wheel was positioned a bit to the right of dead center maybe 1-2 inches. I used a straight edge while checking my tie-rod and visually could not see any damage whatsoever. Using Jerry's method I pulled my front tires/wheels off and carefully checked my toe-in which was still 1/8". I readjusted the drag-link to re-center the wheel and all has been fine since. I need to rotate my tires again which I do myself and will check my toe-in just to confirm it is still in range.