Stereo receiver power remains on

blacksun43

Supporting Member
...even after powering the TJ off and removing the key. The P.O. installed the stereo that went out and I replaced it with the same exact make/model (Alpine w/ Bluetooth). I have to hold the power button to manually turn the receiver unit off and if I don’t, when I turn off the Jeep, then open the driver door to get out, the receiver powers back on. Anybody experience this? I have a multimeter to begin tests, but just checking here 1st. Haha! It’s something I’ve been meaning to get around to fixing.

That radio has two power leads. One connects to a 12v constant-on power source. That keeps the clock running and the station presets in memory. This power lead is commonly red.

The other power lead, usually orange, is supposed to connect to a switched source of 12v that turns on & off with the ignition switch. This is what turns the radio on & off with the ignition switch. It appears this lead was mistakenly connected to a constant source of 12v.

That radio has two power leads. One connects to a 12v constant-on power source. This power lead is commonly red.

The other power lead, usually orange, is supposed to connect to a switched source of 12v that turns on & off with the ignition switch.

I remember seeing both those wires when I connected the new receiver. I also now remember you saying something similar in another post! Shame on me. Thanks again Jerry!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have a problem with my stereo but it happens if I shut the key off and go to far with it before pulling the key out. the radio wont come on when I open the door but have walked up to my car and the radio is lit up or playing on its own

I have a problem with my stereo but it happens if I shut the key off and go to far with it before pulling the key out. the radio wont come on when I open the door but have walked up to my car and the radio is lit up or playing on its own
@59 wagon man - thanks - your post helped me to understand what was going on. So mine does this too. I didn't know the Key Cylinder would allow the key to release in the ACC on position. DUH! How lame I felt.

Furthermore, my starter stopped working so as I was performing tests with a multimeter to determine my starter failed, I decided to continue my day and correct the wiring with the stereo to figure out what was draining my battery. I found out that the Key Cylinder doesn't stop in normal positions as most vehicles, where you feel that "stop" at the "ACC" and again at the "Off", and I can almost remove the key from the cylinder in any position. I continually removed the key in the last position after turning counter clock wise which essentially was leaving the accessory power on.

When I tested the constant 12v power going to the stereo (Dark Blue/Pink-2 wires-on my 06 and verified with Factory Service Manual) the power was on (while I thought it was in the "off" position). Now when I turned the key clockwise one more "click" to the true "off" position, the power was off as well as the ignition power. I then turned the key to the on/run position and both the Blue/pink constant 12v and the Dark Green/Grey wire had 12v power. So everything works, the key cylinder is just kinda finicky. How lame I felt again. I truly laughed out loud.