Sticking gas pedal

Stefano

Hey guys I can’t find any threads to an issue I’m having to my 06 Rubicon. The problem is that when I am at a standstill and press down the gas pedal, it sticks from the full release position and then operates normal till I totally release the gas pedal. Once the gas pedal is beyond the resting position it is very smooth with no issues. This issue drives me nuts because when I break the sticking point the RPMs rev up briefly causing issues when shifting from one gear to another. The throttle body air intake was a bit dirty so I cleaned it and it worked fine for a little bit. Also is it safe to apply carburetor cleaner inside that air intake opening with the flap? The reason I ask is there’s plastic in there by the hinges and I don’t want to damage it.
Any ideas?

Hey everyone, hate to revive an old post, but I'm getting this exact thing with my gas pedal.

I have 97 SE 2.5L 5sp. I cleaned up the throttle body (it didn't seem that bad) and the sticky gas pedal went away... for about a month. The thing is, the jeep is barely driven. I probably drove maybe 100 miles in the month. Now the pedal is sticking again.

It drive me nuts, like the OP. I drive a lot in 1st gear on the beach and it's pain to try and go a consistent 10 - 15 mph, lol.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Pull the cable off the throttle body and see if that is where the binding is. Throttle shaft bores do wear out over time/miles and cause the throttle blade to bind in its bore.
I'll check it out. Maybe it's bound up and it only takes a little build up to make it stick. So when I clean it, it frees up for a while, but then starts to stick soon after.

Thanks.

I'll check it out. Maybe it's bound up and it only takes a little build up to make it stick. So when I clean it, it frees up for a while, but then starts to stick soon after.
The fix sounds like it's going to be the throttle body itself. Where the valve plate pivots in its two mounts wears and it's not designed to be easily fixable.

Thanks.
Check the round plate and how it mounts to the shaft. We've seen a few where they are off center ever so slightly and hang up when first moved. Very common on the aftermarket bullshit. You could also take some fine sandpaper and ease the lower edge to smooth it some on the side that moves up and do the same to the top of the other side. Just enough to knock the sharp edge off and stop it from digging into the side of the bore.

Check the round plate and how it mounts to the shaft. We've seen a few where they are off center ever so slightly and hang up when first moved. Very common on the aftermarket bullshit. You could also take some fine sandpaper and ease the lower edge to smooth it some on the side that moves up and do the same to the top of the other side. Just enough to knock the sharp edge off and stop it from digging into the side of the bore.
I'll have to look at that. It's not too bad, just irritating when trying to go slow. Thanks for the advise.

Did you do any of the troubleshooting mentioned above?

I did not actually do any of the recommended troubleshooting. But I think I solved my issue. I solved it by using ethanol free gas. I only drove the Jeep, every little, on the weekends. I think the 10% ethanol gas was gunking up the throttle-body. Might not be your situation, but I hope that helps.

I did not actually do any of the recommended troubleshooting. But I think I solved my issue. I solved it by using ethanol free gas. I only drove the Jeep, every little, on the weekends. I think the 10% ethanol gas was gunking up the throttle-body. Might not be your situation, but I hope that helps.

Glad you got it resolved, but how much fuel goes through the throttle body?

Zero only air unless you vehicle is carborated or has throttle body injection.
6E84D9B4-6EB6-40E1-B890-05AF62CB22AD.jpeg