Sticky Clutch Pedal

nathanotis

TJ Enthusiast
2004 TJ Rubi. 57k miles (New to me)

My clutch pedal travel is sticky and makes launching smoothly from a stop almost impossible as it grabs and sticks during the critical point of engagement and power transfer. It's not making any noise at all.

Inside the cab I've lubricated the 2 pivot points I can see at the clutch pedal using a white spray lithium grease. The clutch position sensor moves freely and I've cleaned and lubed the push rod that goes through the firewall to the master cylinder. I have a new bushing for the push rod/pedal connection, but since it's not a bearing, I don't think that's the cause of the sticky travel.

Under the Jeep, I've pulled the starter and liberally sprayed the end of the clutch fork with the same white lithium spray. Obviously I can't remove the clutch fork to get under it to that pivot point, where I *think* the root of the problem is, but I was *hoping* enough lube would migrate to where it needs to be. I'm thinking about removing the slave cylinder and spraying the contact point in there as well.

Still sticks. Very frustrating.

I have a complete master/slave assembly on the way, but besides the stickyness, the clutch performs well.

I don't want to take everything apart to remove the clutch fork if I can avoid it. Anything I'm missing that could also be the cause of the sticky pedal movement?

2004 TJ Rubi. 57k miles (New to me)

My clutch pedal travel is sticky and makes launching smoothly from a stop almost impossible as it grabs and sticks during the critical point of engagement and power transfer. It's not making any noise at all.

Inside the cab I've lubricated the 2 pivot points I can see at the clutch pedal using a white spray lithium grease. The clutch position sensor moves freely and I've cleaned and lubed the push rod that goes through the firewall to the master cylinder. I have a new bushing for the push rod/pedal connection, but since it's not a bearing, I don't think that's the cause of the sticky travel.

Under the Jeep, I've pulled the starter and liberally sprayed the end of the clutch fork with the same white lithium spray. Obviously I can't remove the clutch fork to get under it to that pivot point, where I *think* the root of the problem is, but I was *hoping* enough lube would migrate to where it needs to be. I'm thinking about removing the slave cylinder and spraying the contact point in there as well.

Still sticks. Very frustrating.

I have a complete master/slave assembly on the way, but besides the stickyness, the clutch performs well.

I don't want to take everything apart to remove the clutch fork if I can avoid it. Anything I'm missing that could also be the cause of the sticky pedal movement?
Great example of less isn't always more.
An 18 year old piece with only 57k got stale.

How long have you owned it now?

It desperately needs driven!!

May i ask what slave did you order?

Great example of less isn't always more.
An 18 year old piece with only 57k got stale.

How long have you owned it now?

It desperately needs driven!!

May i ask what slave did you order?
That point isn't lost on me.

Had it about 2 months now. Daily driven. Probably put 1000 miles on it in that time.

Will report back on the slave assembly. It was ordered through work (Automotive repair) and I don't have access to the part number.

As promised: the slave assembly is a LUK model from NAPA (74032)

I drove a little this weekend and noted that the stickiness cleared up a little, but it isn't gone completely. I attributed this to the grease I sprayed *close* to the problem area on Friday migrating to the proper location, but not in a large enough concentration to resolve the issue. It also seems to catch more when it's warm as opposed to when it's cold. I'm going to try lubing the pivot points again in the hopes that I don't have to swap out the slave assembly.

As promised: the slave assembly is a LUK model from NAPA (74032)

I drove a little this weekend and noted that the stickiness cleared up a little, but it isn't gone completely. I attributed this to the grease I sprayed *close* to the problem area on Friday migrating to the proper location, but not in a large enough concentration to resolve the issue. It also seems to catch more when it's warm as opposed to when it's cold. I'm going to try lubing the pivot points again in the hopes that I don't have to swap out the slave assembly.

Did you ever track down the culprit? I'm having the same issue after a complete clutch job including new master/slave. I also shot white lithium at all the suspect areas but it's still there (better, but there) I can hear a "squeaking" under the dash though but can't quite narrow in on exactly where.

Giving life to this old thread. I have the exact problem. Sticky, shuddering clutch pedal. This seems to get worse as it warms up, so must be expanding materials with the engine heat? My suspicion at this point is a bad clutch master cylinder. I swapped mine out not long after having the jeep, and unfortunately didn't save the old on. I used a full master / slave kit LUK brand. I've also done a full clutch replacement due to bad throw out bearing since and no change either.

Any of you guys solve this?