Stiff Tailgate

leojeeper

Supporting Member
I recently purchased a 1998 TJ. The tailgate is really hard to open.

I've tried spraying some PB Blaster on the hinges, but it doesn't seem to have helped any. Any suggestions on how to loosen the tailgate?

Thanks,

Gary

I recently purchased a 1998 TJ. The tailgate is really hard to open.

I've tried spraying some PB Blaster on the hinges, but it doesn't seem to have helped any. Any suggestions on how to loosen the tailgate?

Thanks,

Gary

May want to loosen the hinges with the gate closed , shim in place if needed, and then retighten them-they will likely fo to a neutral position.

Reactions: sab
Try something like Liquid Wrench, Kroil, Break-Free, or a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF instead of PB-Blaster. PB-Blaster is the worst penetrant of any of them, tests placed it barely ahead of WD-40 which is not a penetrant.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
This is an awesome idea! Then just the holes with some lithium grease every so often.

I had used Kroil on the hinges and repeatedly opened and closed the tailgate without any change. I drilled the tailgate a few years ago and haven't had to spray it again. It's been fine ever since.

I had used Kroil on the hinges and repeatedly opened and closed the tailgate without any change. I drilled the tailgate a few years ago and haven't had to spray it again. It's been fine ever since.

I drilled the holes last night. Not near as hard as I thought it might be. Sprayed it with some generic penetrating oil I had. They’ve loosened up a little but not where it should be yet. Going to keep spraying it until I can get some good stuff and hopefully it’ll break free.

Try something like Liquid Wrench, Kroil, Break-Free, or a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF instead of PB-Blaster. PB-Blaster is the worst penetrant of any of them, tests placed it barely ahead of WD-40 which is not a penetrant.

Is the break free you’re referring to the same stuff as the break free CLP for cleaning guns? That’s the only break free I’ve been able to find.