Still looking for a good used TJ

Fltjer

Today I looked at a 99' 4cyl 5 speed 108000 miles with recent soft top that was rust free but had other issues for $6900. It was mostly original with no lift and price was not bad but, oil was below "add" mark and coolant was a rust color. A few other things too.
No big rush to part with my hard earned money.
Hey Chris can we start a Craigslist find section for each region of the US? For those of us that are ready to buy it could be a big help.
Thanks

Looked at a 03' with 6cyl, 5sp, soft top, one owner, no rust for $10k, 94000 miles. I was hoping this was the one but preventative maintenance was not a big priority for him. All fluids were overdue, rusty coolant, soft top was in shambles, rear pinion seal was leaking like crazy. That was a brief 30 min. inspection by me. I'm not that picky just want to find something similar to the way I like to maintain my vehicles.
Oh well, still looking with cash in hand.

That's the way to buy, be picky and don't jump at the first one you see. And regarding the engine choice, the 2.5L is fine for around town & offroad but it makes for frustration on the highway... it can barely keep up with traffic and it won't if you're on even a minor grade. I'd definitely hold out for a 4.0 engine and a 2004 or older. 2005 and 2006 4.0 engines have a problem with the oil pump drive assembly which is not always easily fixed.

And my bet is he's from Florida Ahoragi. :)

Reactions: Chris
That's the way to buy, be picky and don't jump at the first one you see. And regarding the engine choice, the 2.5L is fine for around town & offroad but it makes for frustration on the highway... it can barely keep up with traffic and it won't if you're on even a minor grade. I'd definitely hold out for a 4.0 engine and a 2004 or older. 2005 and 2006 4.0 engines have a problem with the oil pump drive assembly which is not always easily fixed.

And my bet is he's from Florida Ahoragi. :)
The 4.0L is what I prefer but would be happy with a 2.5L in good condition also.

You should be able to find something nice in Florida. I can't imagine too many of the TJs down there are plagued by rust. Maybe @Serbonze would know for sure though, he's from Florida.

In regards to the Craigslist find section, it's not a bad idea, my only issue with the Craigslist stuff is that the ads don't last very long, and once they're gone the links no longer work, so people just end up looking at these threads with broken links.

I think the better thing to do might be to start a "Craigslist Finds" thread (instead of a section) and everyone can post their Craigslist finds there. I'd be totally cool with you starting something like that! I love browsing Craigslist even just for fun.

Reactions: Serbonze
You should be able to find something nice in Florida. I can't imagine too many of the TJs down there are plagued by rust. Maybe @Serbonze would know for sure though, he's from Florida.

It's hit or miss. If you can trace the history to confirm it was a Florida or Georgia TJ its entire life, then rust may not be an issue. However, remember that we have a lot of ocean coastline, and at least a few times a week some idiot is posting pictures so of themselves at the beach driving through the surf. So imagine salted winter roads, but driving through a super concentrated version of it up to and over the axles. They have no idea the damage that they are causing.

Regarding preventative maintenance, I'm not sure that would be a huge issue for me. There are very few one owner TJs out there that will check all of the boxes, and you will more than likely never know how the previous owners treated the Jeep. I also wouldn't worry about something like the soft top, it's easily replaced.

Honestly what I wouldn't do is buy one that's been modded out for off roading. I would prefer to buy one that was close to stock or obviously a mall crawler.

Looked at another TJ yesterday. It was advertised on C/L in Tallahassee as an 04' with 110000 miles ,clean title, new soft top, everything works good for $8700. Upon my inspection I found the odometer was at 115500 miles , parking brake did not work at all, the new soft top was a off brand bikini top, radiator shroud was missing, low on oil, title was not in the owners name after claimed buying it last January. Mileage was "exempt" on the title. I think it means not accurate.
The bolts on the shocks and differentials were so rusted that a socket would have rounded them off. Owner said he bought it from a vehicle recovery business. It was an abandoned vehicle. It looked like a flood vehicle to me. RED FLAGS!!
He asked if I wanted to test drive it? I kindly declined and left asap.

Beware of the shysters folks!

Still looking with a positive attitude that a good TJ is out there somewhere!

Good call, that thing definitely had a lot of red flags going on if you ask me!

You'll find that perfect TJ all in due time!

It's hit or miss. If you can trace the history to confirm it was a Florida or Georgia TJ its entire life, then rust may not be an issue. However, remember that we have a lot of ocean coastline, and at least a few times a week some idiot is posting pictures so of themselves at the beach driving through the surf. So imagine salted winter roads, but driving through a super concentrated version of it up to and over the axles. They have no idea the damage that they are causing.

Regarding preventative maintenance, I'm not sure that would be a huge issue for me. There are very few one owner TJs out there that will check all of the boxes, and you will more than likely never know how the previous owners treated the Jeep. I also wouldn't worry about something like the soft top, it's easily replaced.

Honestly what I wouldn't do is buy one that's been modded out for off roading. I would prefer to buy one that was close to stock or obviously a mall crawler.
The stock jeep or something close is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe a slight mod but nothing too big. I've been driving 4x4's since the mid 1970's as a kid and owned several since the 1980's. Not looking for a perfect jeep just a decent deal.

Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
I was in your shoes a month ago. I downloaded about three apps like Cars.com and Autotrader, set my search criteria and in a few weeks found a winner. 79k miles, 2006 clean as a pin for 14900. Try those apps they really do the work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fltjer
I assume you've been monitoring Craigslist every day? The wait will pay off!

Oh yea, checking c/l several times per day. Had a few good ones come up near me that literally sold within a couple of hours. I could not get there fast enough. haha

I know, that's what happens too! The good ones will sell within a day or two at most. The ones that sit are the rusted ones with questionable histories.

When I looked for mine I had to look in three different states, and I was fully prepared to fly out of state and drive it back if necessary.

Have you looked in Texas? If you're willing to travel.
Reminds me of a road trip years ago...my mom & I rented a car in Albuquerque, drove nonstop to Dallas to go to Collins Bros. Jeep in Wiley, TX, where I planned to buy a CJ I had found on their website. Once we got there, my dad, who lived in Dallas, put us up for the night, then took us to Collins Bros. the next day, where I proceeded to shop for a Jeep. I didn't end up buying the '85 CJ after all, but got a 1995 YJ instead, which was the same price, but in better shape. Drove it home that afternoon. That's a long trip in a soft top YJ, I have to say...

I just restored my 1997 Jeep Chris knows a lot about my journey. 1997 4.0 auto 4" rc lift, 33"s bf goodtires. I love it! Frame off restorations. Everything was cleaned changeds. Every gasket drive line. brake line. everything!