Still running hot

Tomandian

2000 TJ 2.5 I posted earlier this week that I was running hot. Sucks! Thermostat, Water Pump and radiator cap checked out. Head gasket checked Out fine as well. My mechanic replaced the radiator and it runs “cooler”. Awesome, right? Wrong. She runs hotter (235) running down the road, that it does sitting still. Wtf? It runs hot when the AC is on to, but not when it’s off. Mechanic said he cleaned the condenser as well. It does have one of those dumb angry bird grill inserts (hate it). the ac on this thing blows really cold as well. Really cold. What’s next? Where do I go from here?

Aftermarket radiators rarely cool nearly as well as the OE Mopar does.
X2 to this, and I personally don't think that grille is helping either.

You should be running a Mopar radiator, no question about it.

And I'm serious about that grille. Not trying to be an ass. I mean yes, they do look like ass, but they also more than likely negatively effect cooling to some degree.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Does the 2.5l thermostat have a bleed hole in it? Possibly air trapped after the radiator install?

Reactions: TJ2
Start with verifying that the 235* reading is really 235*. If it isn't you will be chasing your tail forever.

Use something other than the electrical circuit that contains the temp sender and dash gauge to measure your temperatures. If a different measuring method produces results almost the same as your dash gauge, then you can have confidence in your gauge. (Or you will know how much your dash gauge is off and can compensate accordingly.)

Good quick check is to put you hand on the radiator while your running hot, if you can hold it there for any length of time without it coming back red and welted, it’s probably not running to hot.

You can also use one of those laser thermometers, not perfect but will get you close enough.

Are you sure the clutch Fan is working? sounds like the most likely cause to me. Also as everyone else says Dat grill Lol... i have never had a problem with aftermarket radiators from parts stores ect.

Reactions: pagrey
Should be replaced when the water pump was, maybe his mech didint, but you’d be stupid not to, you literally have to take it off to get to the pump anyway.

You would be surprised lot of shady mechanics out there personally if I am overheating like this id replace everything with how cheap these parts are.

Are you saying the Jeep runs cool when the AC is off, but hot when it's on? Sounds like you could have a problem with your AC system that's causing extra strain on the engine?

Think we got it. Cleaned the condenser like crazy, and put up in a new radiator. But the biggest difference maker was removing that after market grill. Those things should be outlawed!

Great to hear. Not solving the cooling issue, that is no big deal. Pulling the ABG is the good news. The grill is like visual salt peter.