Stock A/C Leak

Rory O'Brien

Hey all,

I have a 2006 Rubi and up until this past week the a/c has blown ice cold with no issues to note of. A couple of days ago it stopped blowing cold and when I popped the hood up to have a look this is what I was greeted with. It doesn't appear to be oil and my inclination is freon leaking. Looking for input I'm not exceptionally versed in the A/C components so just looking for input.

If possible could someone send me/post a diagram of the a/c piping so I can map out where I should be looking for leaks?

Image-2.jpg
Image-3.jpg

looks like leaking at hose if it still has some pressure you can take some soapy water and determine if its leaking at fitting or hose. If not you will have to pressurize with nitrogen and check if it is hose around crimp area usually can find local A/c shop that can rebuild hose. If fitting has cracked order replacement hose it will come complete with ends There is also an o-ring under fitting on tube

looks like leaking at hose if it still has some pressure you can take some soapy water and determine if its leaking at fitting or hose. If not you will have to pressurize with nitrogen and check if it is hose around crimp area usually can find local A/c shop that can rebuild hose. If fitting has cracked order replacement hose it will come complete with ends There is also an o-ring under fitting on tube

The clutch is not engaging as far as I can tell. I’m hoping this is from low pressure lock out. How would I go about pressurizing with nitrogen safely? I’m unfamiliar with the process. I’m convinced the leak is in one of the hoses going into/out of the condenser.

The clutch is not engaging as far as I can tell. I’m hoping this is from low pressure lock out. How would I go about pressurizing with nitrogen safely? I’m unfamiliar with the process. I’m convinced the leak is in one of the hoses going into/out of the condenser.
If it is similar to the 97tj. It is one assembly for high and low. You can buy the assembly from a local auto parts store Or online.

To charge it with nitrogen you will need a set of gauges and a container of nitrogen that will hook up to the gauges.

Before attempting to work on your a/c i highly recommend you watch a lot of YouTube videos. They do not have to be jeep specific. Then ask if you really want to go down that road.

There are many good videos on how to find leaks. And how to replace parts.

If it is similar to the 97tj. It is one assembly for high and low. You can buy the assembly from a local auto parts store Or online.

To charge it with nitrogen you will need a set of gauges and a container of nitrogen that will hook up to the gauges.

Before attempting to work on your a/c i highly recommend you watch a lot of YouTube videos. They do not have to be jeep specific. Then ask if you really want to go down that road.

There are many good videos on how to find leaks. And how to replace parts.

As I stand right now I think the clutch is not engaging from a low pressure shut off. If I were to hook up manifold gauges and add refrigerant to an acceptable level through the gauges and jumped the clutch would that damage my system if I do have a leak?

As I stand right now I think the clutch is not engaging from a low pressure shut off. If I were to hook up manifold gauges and add refrigerant to an acceptable level through the gauges and jumped the clutch would that damage my system if I do have a leak?

I would not jump the clutch. If you hook up gauges and you have no pressure then it is a leak.
If you hook up gauges and you have plenty of pressure (i cant remember the exact pressure) then you can attempt the jump. To check the clutch.

Mine has a slow leak in the same area. About once a year it get low and the clutch cycles on and off. I use the cheap Autozone single hose and put freon in, it does not take much to get it back to cold.