Stock alternator or higher amp alternator?

I did the Durango alternator swap when I added heated seats. The heated seats only take about 7 amps each, but 4 of them take 28 amps. I also have two sets of halogen lights (spot and fog) in addition to my LED lights. So the electrical was already at the limit. I would also notice the voltage dropping from 13.5 to about 9.5 when the winch was heavily loaded.

So I replaced the alternator with the Durango alternator to give a bit more overhead. I bought a new 160 amp Remy alternator, which is actually rated to about 180 amps:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZYRRZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Not sure if this one works with early models or 4 cylinder engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Thank you to all that replied. Now I think I'm even more confused on which way to go.
The odyssey battery is definitely what Ill be getting, but still not sure on the alternator. Sounds like the 90amp might be the way to go. Crap like this makes my brain hurt. One time it took me 9 months to decide which tires to put on my F250 :( . IDK haha

A Durango alternator isn't going to hurt anything but your wallet. It won't affect fuel economy or power, as the PCM charge controller only activates the current supply needed. It should last as long or longer than a stock size alternator.

If you're on the edge, go for it if the initial cost isn't a concern.

Thank you to all that replied. Now I think I'm even more confused on which way to go.
The odyssey battery is definitely what Ill be getting, but still not sure on the alternator. Sounds like the 90amp might be the way to go. Crap like this makes my brain hurt. One time it took me 9 months to decide which tires to put on my F250 :( . IDK haha
Just enough time to have another kid, talk about making your brain hurt :LOL:

NO!!!!! I don't need no more kids! I want to retire!!!!!
I'm already raising 2 grandkids for the past 8 years. Now we are in the process of adopting them.
Wow! That sucks!
But good for you for stepping up!
Hopefully they turn out to be better people than their parents. (No implication toward you by any means) We raise kids the best we can, sometimes they make bad decisions and we have to deal w/ it.

Wow! That sucks!
But good for you for stepping up!
Hopefully they turn out to be better people than their parents. (No implication toward you by any means) We raise kids the best we can, sometimes they make bad decisions and we have to deal w/ it.
Yea, the last thing we want is for them to be anything like their parents. Thieving drugging lazy worthless bums! And I am being nice about it :rolleyes:
The sad thing about it is, the kids don't want anything to do with them either.

Something to remember.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-an-Alternator
Temperature ratings are often determined using a military standard of 122°F, measuring the ambient air temperature in the vicinity of the alternator. Sustained operation in hot engine room conditions will reduce alternator output. A hot alternator, operating at approximately 180°F–200°F will only supply about 80 percent of its rated capacity. Large-frame models generally run cooler than their smaller siblings because of their ability to dissipate heat. Small case alternators are not designed for continuous high-output operation.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Something to remember.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-an-Alternator
Temperature ratings are often determined using a military standard of 122°F, measuring the ambient air temperature in the vicinity of the alternator. Sustained operation in hot engine room conditions will reduce alternator output. A hot alternator, operating at approximately 180°F–200°F will only supply about 80 percent of its rated capacity. Large-frame models generally run cooler than their smaller siblings because of their ability to dissipate heat. Small case alternators are not designed for continuous high-output operation.
Most high output alternators will usually have two ratings, one for cold and one for hot. For example, this one’s rated at 370 amps cold and 330 amps at 200F:
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/products...gler-2006-4-0l-i6?_pos=4&_sid=a5c3a9184&_ss=r

Stock is adequate, but then again I'm sure some people think that is the case for the tires. ;)

I did the V8 ZJ 160amp swap on a few XJs. The XJ draws more power than a TJ would because most XJs have power locks, power windows, the electric aux fan, etc. Adding a winch and especially aux lights and brighter headlights would noticeably impact the electrical system in the summer when the e-fan would be on more. The alternator upgrade helps with that, but keep in mind this upgrade does very little unless you upgrade the cables to thicker gauge wire.

With all that said, I think the upgrade is only worthwhile for a TJ if you plan on running a winch, high power offroad lights, and a few other electrical accessories all at the same time.

The Durango alt that fits the 4.0 is 160amp. One extra mounting arm on the top needs to be cut off or it blocks the coil rail from maintainance.

Mine has been installed for several years. I put one in because at my old job I was jump starting old cold diesel trucks in the winter far more often than I should have been. Maybe it helped.
Wish I saw this post sooner. I learned of my install mistake when I couldn’t remove my coil rail recently.

I cut a hack saw blade down and finger filed the aluminum arm 75% of the way then smacked the rest off with a hammer and extension (pickle fork). It was kinda fun feeling like a determined cave man during that hour of fun. It also felt incredibly stupid. I assume I didn’t want to modify it earlier in case the part failed on me.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I switched to the V10 Viper coil pack recently, so that solved any issue of trapping the coil rail. I can pull all the spark plugs and wires out without ever touching the alternator, even with the tab still installed.

Reactions: MikeE024
So the 2005/6 models even block access to the coil pack with the alternator? That's just one more reason I'd never buy an 05/06 now. They really fucked up those two years.

• Haha
Reactions: L J
So the 2005/6 models even block access to the coil pack with the alternator? That's just one more reason I'd never buy an 05/06 now. They really fucked up those two years.

The answer is "no" if you are running the stock alternator. No problem removing the coil rail with a stock alternator at least on my '05. Is there any difference in the alternator or coil rail between the infamous 05/06 and other years?

Anyway, If you run the higher-output Durango alternator, there is an additional mount point that will interfere with the coil pack but is easily removed which I would guess is what most people do. I don't think it has anything to do with it being 05/06 or any other year but I could be wrong about that.

Jerry, I agree with a huge majority of your comments but I think you are harder on the 05/06 year TJs than they deserve. I dunno, maybe the automatics are the disaster you make them out to be. I have an '05 6 speed manual. The few known issues have been addressed and it's about as reliable as any 17 year old vehicle can be. I wanted a LJ Rubicon. Kinda impossible to have one of those outside those dreaded later years. I would not trade it for any other TJ year/version for my needs and purposes.