Stock-sanity

Widawg

Supporting Member
Hello!

I've been a member since
Oct, but haven't posted in a long time. Decided to become a supporting member for to the great info I've found for my first Jeep here and the comrade between members.

My Jeep is humble compared to the modified Jeeps most own on this site, but as my thread title suggests there is a good argument for leaving the already capable TJ in stock form.

My Jeep: 1998 TJ Sport, 4.0 manual trans.

The good: No rust (New Mexico title whole life), runs well, no issues so far with trans or drivetrain, n drives great. Has hard top with slight damage but solid enough, and decent aftermarket rear bumper n cut off front bumper. 142600 mis when I bought it, now over 146000 mis. Paid $7k for it.

The bad: The usual irritating issues, like blower only working on high. Already replaced resistor. If computer is reset, goes thru the odd idle issue (many threads here for that) for a couple min before going back to running great. Has aftermarket air raid air filter (one of my next tasks to find stock).

A recent flat tire prompted one of the changes I wanted to do, which was replace the aftermarket 17" rims/
tires with stock ones. Below are before n after pics.

One of the main reasons for staying stock is that I truly do get 18 to 20 mpg on reg basis, and Jeep has taken me everywhere I've wanted so far.

I may not be on forum a bunch, but do want to thank the members and forum for great info provided.

Wiley

IMG_20180402_172931006_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Kathy and Azdude63
Which wheels do you have on it now? Looks like the changed in two of the photos.

18-20 mpg is impressive for a Wrangler! Definitely nothing wrong with keeping a TJ stock. They look great even in stock form!

Thanks! The Jeep came with aftermarket 17" rims (top photo), but I had a set of 15" canyons from a 01 Wrangler I bought from a friend who was going the larger wheel route for me to use on a Ford ranger. I fucked 2 of them up boring out the hubs to fit the ranger so only needed a couple more to make the complete set on the TJ.

I went with the largest tire size offered from dealer for that year, 30 X 9.5 / 15 BFG ko2. Looks much better than the aftermarket rims. As u can see from before pic I run a lot of dirt roads so my nice canyons will be dirty soon enough.

IMG_20180706_185411350_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180706_185411350_HDR.jpg

Thanks! The Jeep came with aftermarket 17" rims (top photo), but I had a set of 15" canyons from a 01 Wrangler I bought from a friend who was going the larger wheel route for me to use on a Ford ranger. I fucked 2 of them up boring out the hubs to fit the ranger so only needed a couple more to make the complete set on the TJ.

I went with the largest tire size offered from dealer for that year, 30 X 9.5 / 15 BFG ko2. Looks much better than the aftermarket rims. As u can see from before pic I run a lot of dirt roads so my nice canyons will be dirty soon enough.

View attachment 47004

Hello!

I've been a member since
Oct, but haven't posted in a long time. Decided to become a supporting member for to the great info I've found for my first Jeep here and the comrade between members.

My Jeep is humble compared to the modified Jeeps most own on this site, but as my thread title suggests there is a good argument for leaving the already capable TJ in stock form.

My Jeep: 1998 TJ Sport, 4.0 manual trans.

The good: No rust (New Mexico title whole life), runs well, no issues so far with trans or drivetrain, n drives great. Has hard top with slight damage but solid enough, and decent aftermarket rear bumper n cut off front bumper. 142600 mis when I bought it, now over 146000 mis. Paid $7k for it.

The bad: The usual irritating issues, like blower only working on high. Already replaced resistor. If computer is reset, goes thru the odd idle issue (many threads here for that) for a couple min before going back to running great. Has aftermarket air raid air filter (one of my next tasks to find stock).

A recent flat tire prompted one of the changes I wanted to do, which was replace the aftermarket 17" rims/
tires with stock ones. Below are before n after pics.

One of the main reasons for staying stock is that I truly do get 18 to 20 mpg on reg basis, and Jeep has taken me everywhere I've wanted so far.

I may not be on forum a bunch, but do want to thank the members and forum for great info provided.

Wiley
Nice Jeep!
I agree with the keep it stock philosophy, although there is nothing wrong with those who build theirs to the max.
I bought a TJ last week, and I also own a YJ. I got tired of chasing problems In the YJ that basically boiled down to it having over 300,000 miles, and needs a serious rebuild. It'll be down for awhile.
I started to go through serious withdrawals without it, so I bought a TJ with 95,000 miles. Note: I don't have a wife anymore, so having 2 Jeeps met with no resistance. My German Shepherd definitely approves.
I love the TJ.
True, the YJ, lifted and with ridiculously large tires, riding like a connestoga wagon and loosening my fillings definitely made the testosterone levels in me ridiculously high.
The TJ is the best of both worlds, although having AC and cruise control in a Jeep is taking some getting used to. I'll definitely enjoy cross country trips to the mountain trails much more in the TJ.
But I'm gonna keep her stock.
The dog prefers the lower jump she has to take to get in the back of the TJ, anyway.
And, seeing that she has razor sharp mandibles of bone crushing death, I don't argue with her. ;)

IMG_20170919_165931914_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Widawg
I also prefer mostly stock. Yeah, I have a 2.5" lift, but I took off the aftermarket bumper and winch and put it back to stock. It is all personal taste, but I was tempted to go all the way back to stock. I purchased my Rubi with a 6" lift and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Off to the scrapyard it went. Well it is going to the scrapyard soon. lol

Nice TJ you got there. I get pretty close to that gas milage on mine if I am mot driving over 70mph often even with my 33's.

First all great colour...Love the steel Blue..(I maybe bias though) We've all seen the many, many posts about how capable the TJ is 'Stock' no argument here either....15in wheels on 31 or 32's don't take away from the look your after either...watching how you use that right foot will help keep that gas consumption down.