Stock spare tire carrier appears off center

Joeinnewjersey

TJ Enthusiast
Put my stock spare tire carrier back on today and it appears to be off center and more on the right side. Never noticed before. Is it always like this or did I enter another dimension of time and space?

It is off center from the factory. It kinda drives us OCD people a little crazy. It drives me even more crazy that the 3rd light is centered. The internet rumor I heard is that it was done to give more room for the tailgate latch. Seems reasonable but I never verified that reasoning.

Reactions: Fishtaco and L J
It is off center from the factory. It kinda drives us OCD people a little crazy. It drives me even more crazy that the 3rd light is centered. The internet rumor I heard is that it was done to give more room for the tailgate latch. Seems reasonable but I never verified that reasoning.
Okay, thanks for the info.

Reactions: 06lj
If it wasn't for the latch, keeping the weight closer to the hinges is reason enough for me.

Reactions: -T.
I was trying to centre my wheel trash bag and nothing I did looked right! Then I thought Why The Fuck did they do this? I had to take it off!
Only symmetrical people notice this shit and let it annoy them. :)

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Well I’ve notice it before, and I thought i was crazy, I got my uncle’s car to compare but it’s the same… also one of the front tires seem to be more close to the engine????? On both cars, anyone else noticed it?

Well I’ve notice it before, and I thought i was crazy, I got my uncle’s car to compare but it’s the same… also one of the front tires seem to be more close to the engine????? On both cars, anyone else noticed it?
Yes, one of the front tires is closer to the engine because the engine sits off center in the engine bay. More accurately, the engine is closer to one of the front tires since both tires are centered on the chassis.

Reactions: John Cooper