Stock vs aftermarket soundbar?

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m getting ready to upgrade my sound system and am realizing that my sound bar appears to be this aftermarket split.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14119_101_07.htm
Wondering what upside / downsides there are to these compared to the stock. Ive read other post about adding polyfill to the stock but Im wondering if they have more space for better compoments or if this split unit is sufficient. I havent personally seen the stock soundbar so dont know what the interior is like or if there are common problems with them.

I’m getting ready to upgrade my sound system and am realizing that my sound bar appears to be this aftermarket split.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14119_101_07.htm
Wondering what upside / downsides there are to these compared to the stock. Ive read other post about adding polyfill to the stock but Im wondering if they have more space for better compoments or if this split unit is sufficient. I havent personally seen the stock soundbar so dont know what the interior is like or if there are common problems with them.

The OEM sound bar changed to a 2 piece design in 2004; so yours could still be stock.

See here for an example.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I think the sound pods sound better than the sound bar. My 2006 sound is very noticeably better than my 99, with the exact same speakers moved from one to the other. I was more focused on suspension and drivetrain stuff so noticed the sound difference before I'd actually noticed that it had pods instead of a bar.

Reactions: imactj2004
I think the sound pods sound better than the sound bar. My 2006 sound is very noticeably better than my 99, with the exact same speakers moved from one to the other. I was more focused on suspension and drivetrain stuff so noticed the sound difference before I'd actually noticed that it had pods instead of a bar.
I found the opposite. I changed my 05 pods out for an earlier style soundbar. I do run Infinity Kappa components though.

I found the opposite. I changed my 05 pods out for an earlier style soundbar. I do run Infinity Kappa components though.
The factory speakers in my '01 were Infinity's; I replaced them with Polk DB with 96 db in the roll bar pods and infinity Kappa with 93 db in the dash pods and filled them with Polyfil.

The audio was MUCH better than what was previously installed.

Last edited:
The OEM sound bar changed to a 2 piece design in 2004; so yours could still be stock.

See here for an example.

is there any known reason for the oem redesign from single to split? I’m about to do a speaker upgrade and am wondering whether to stick with my splits or install the single (which I also happen to have layin around).

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
is there any known reason for the oem redesign from single to split? I’m about to do a speaker upgrade and am wondering whether to stick with my splits or install the single (which I also happen to have layin around).

seems like it might be cheaper to make the pods. no cover, no metal.

since you have both the pods and the bar, why not test them both out and see what you like better? sound is subjective after all..

i had the bar. sold the bar and got the oem pods because i figured newer is better..
upgraded my speakers. bought a bar to test out the sound. now i have oem pods to sell..

No matter what you do because of the way a TJ is set up calling whatever sound you can get good is ... I'll be charitable and call it subjective. :)

subjectivity is a fact, hence the suggestion to try both options since the OP has both options available to him 😎

Reactions: pagrey
Yeah, plan to do a comparison unless there was some overt problem with the sound bar that would make the exercise moot.