Stoked on the new Rubicon full float Dana 44

Yeah a lot of interesting developments for sure. I'm mostly concerned to see what it does to the MSRP as I'm struggling to wrap my head around how expensive the JL/JLU Rubicons are. I'd love a 2023 JLU Rubicon XR, but I can't see myself actually doing Jeep things in a 65-70k+ vehicle.

Guess I'll just keep fixing my TJ up...probably come out ahead in the long run if I can keep a level head as I undo the shenanigans prior owners did to the poor girl.

In 1995 a brand new one was only 17,000

In 2006, a TJR was 28k with the LJR being 30k. Comparing the MSRP of a TJR with the JLR adjusting for inflation…the TJR is roughly 40k in 2023 money compared to the 50k JLR similarly equipped (soft top and no other options). Most of that is inflation but about 10k is just price increase I'm sure partly because of all the new tech, MPG targets, and mandatory safety stuff.

It’s really the spartan nature of the TJ Rubicon tech wise is what made that trim so good. All this module/CAN/tech nonsense is just silly on the JLR considering what the Rubi is meant for. They’ve got JL Rubicons that light up light Christmas trees with a low aux battery or have a sensor in the lockers go crazy multiple times to where you can’t even use the lockers which the fix for some has been entire axle replacement since they weren’t selling the sensor alone but there’s a company that makes a sensor bypass wiring kit at least. Unlike the TJ, you need a programmer to enable factory lockers in 4H instead of a wiring hack. Rubicon is mostly a status symbol trim anymore especially with the JLU considering how those prices hit luxury SUV levels which is ironic considering they ride rougher. Pains me to know that many JLURs never leave the pavement 😭.

Last edited:
I cant wait to see one of these in real life. Hopefully someone does a deep dive on it.
IMG_7605.jpeg

IMG_7604.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_LJ and BlueC
The 2024 Wrangler refresh has been announced and what peaked my interest the most is the Dana 44 rear is now full float and looks like they are using a unit bearing.

Thank you Ford Bronco. Ford is the best thing to happen to wranglers in a while. Minus the giant new screen and the grill refresh.